Acceleration of a Bus

by CursedAntagonis
Tags: acceleration
Share this thread:
CursedAntagonis
Sep23-07, 11:05 PM
P: 23
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The acceleration of a bus is given by a (t)= alpha t, where alpha = 1.13 m/s^3 is a constant.

Part A) If the bus's velocity at time t_1 = 1.01 s is 4.93 m/s, what is its velocity at time t_2 = 2.15 s?

Part B) If the bus's position at time t_1 = 1.01 s is 6.01 m, what is its position at time t_2 = 2.15 s?

2. Relevant equations

Vf = Vo + at

3. The attempt at a solution
I am stuck on Part A and Part B. I am applying the Vf = Vo + at equation. I set it up as
Vf = 4.93 + (alpha * t)(2.15s)

and the answer that I get is wrong. Anyone have any idea how to approach this? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Hootenanny
Sep24-07, 04:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,781
Your equation that you are using for part (A) is correct, perhaps if you showed us your numbers we could point out whats going wrong. However, note that part (B) us asking for position, so you need a different kinematic equation.
Kilopilo
Sep24-07, 09:44 AM
P: 2
Remember to take the difference of the two times when using v(1.01) as Vo in the equation. It is a very common mistake.

The real equation: Vf = Vo + a(tf-to) for constant a.

Register to reply