Probability card questions

In summary: The correct approach would be to divide the number of ways to choose 3 cards in order by the total number of ways to choose 3 cards from the deck without replacement. This would result in a probability of 1/120. In summary, the probability of selecting 3 cards in sorted (increasing) order from a deck of 10 cards without replacement is 1/120.
sputnik
So, there is a deck of 10 card and a player picks 3 cards one at a time without replacement. What is the probability that the three cards are selected in sorted (increasing) order?

I am not fully understand this question, for me there are two possibilities:
1. The final three cards are sorted in order. (e.g. 1st = 3, 2nd = 1, 3rd = 2)
2. Or, it is strictly increasing, 1st card < 2nd card < 3rd card.

I do favor the 2nd possibility but i can not convince my self, perhaps anyone can help me.

So, my approach is (for the 2nd possibility) to group those 10 cards to a group of 3 cards (in increasing order). Let's call it A, so

A = {(1,2,3),(2,3,4),(3,4,5),(4,5,6),(5,6,7),(6,7,8),(7,8,9),(8,9,10)}
and S is 10x9x8.

So P(A) = 8/(10x9x8) = 1/90

Is this the right thing to do??

Physics news on Phys.org
sputnik said:
So, there is a deck of 10 card and a player picks 3 cards one at a time without replacement. What is the probability that the three cards are selected in sorted (increasing) order?

I am not fully understand this question, for me there are two possibilities:
1. The final three cards are sorted in order. (e.g. 1st = 3, 2nd = 1, 3rd = 2)
No, that would be "consectutive numbers", not "in sorted order".

2. Or, it is strictly increasing, 1st card < 2nd card < 3rd card.
Yes, that is what they mean.

I do favor the 2nd possibility but i can not convince my self, perhaps anyone can help me.

So, my approach is (for the 2nd possibility) to group those 10 cards to a group of 3 cards (in increasing order). Let's call it A, so

A = {(1,2,3),(2,3,4),(3,4,5),(4,5,6),(5,6,7),(6,7,8),(7,8,9),(8,9,10)}
and S is 10x9x8.

So P(A) = 8/(10x9x8) = 1/90

Is this the right thing to do??
No, you are missing such "orders" as (1, 5, 8), (3, 6, 9), etc.

Your approach is correct for the second possibility. The probability of selecting three cards in strictly increasing order is indeed 1/90. Your reasoning is sound and the solution is correct. However, for the first possibility, the probability would be 2/90 as there are two possible ways to arrange the three cards in increasing order (1st = 1, 2nd = 2, 3rd = 3 or 1st = 2, 2nd = 1, 3rd = 3). Overall, the probability of selecting three cards in sorted (increasing) order is (1/90) + (2/90) = 3/90 = 1/30. Great job on breaking down the problem and finding the solution!

1. What is the meaning of probability in the context of card games?

Probability in the context of card games refers to the likelihood or chance of a certain card or combination of cards being dealt or drawn from a deck. It is a mathematical concept that helps determine the potential outcomes of a game and can aid in making strategic decisions.

2. How is probability calculated in card games?

In card games, probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to know the probability of drawing an Ace from a standard deck of 52 cards, you would divide the number of Aces (4) by the total number of cards (52), resulting in a probability of 1/13 or approximately 7.7%.

3. Can probability be used to predict the outcome of a card game?

No, probability cannot be used to predict the exact outcome of a card game. It only provides an estimate of the likelihood of certain outcomes based on mathematical calculations. Other factors such as luck, strategy, and skill also play a significant role in determining the outcome of a card game.

4. How can understanding probability help in playing card games?

Understanding probability can help in playing card games by allowing players to make more informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes. It can also aid in calculating the odds of winning or losing and help in developing effective strategies.

5. Is probability the same as luck in card games?

No, probability and luck are not the same in card games. Probability is a mathematical concept that can be calculated and used to make strategic decisions, while luck is an unpredictable and uncontrollable element that can influence the outcome of a game.