Potential Difference and Potential Near a Charged Sheet

by Badger
Tags: charged, difference, potential, sheet
Share this thread:
Badger
Oct9-07, 10:15 PM
P: 29
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let [tex]{\rm A} = \left(x_1,y_1 \right)[/tex] and [tex]{\rm B} = \left( x_2,y_2 \right)[/tex] be two points near and on the same side of a charged sheet with surface charge density [tex]+ \sigma[/tex] . The electric field [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] due to such a charged sheet has magnitude [tex]E = \frac {\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0}[/tex] everywhere, and the field points away from the sheet, as shown in the diagram. View Figure

Part A
What is the potential difference [tex]V_{\rm AB} = V_{\rm A} - V_{\rm B}[/tex] between points A and B?

Part B
If the potential at [tex]y = \pm \infty[/tex] is taken to be zero, what is the value of the potential at a point [tex]V_A[/tex] at some positive distance [tex]y_1[/tex] from the surface of the sheet?
choices are:
1. infinity
2. negative infinity
3. 0
4. -E * y_1

2. Relevant equations
[tex]\int_{\rm B}^{\rm A} \vec{C} \cdot d\vec{\ell} = \int_{x_2}^{x_1} C_x\,dx + \int_{y_2}^{y_1} C_y\,dy
= C_x (x_1 - x_2) + C_y(y_1 - y_2)[/tex]

[tex]V_{\rm AB}= -\int _B^A \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
Part A.
[tex] V_{\rm AB} = V_{\rm A} - V_{\rm B}= \left(-E\right)\left(y_{1}-y_{2}\right) [/tex]

Part B.
I figure I'd use the equation I got in part A and set the bottom of the E field at y=0.

In which case
V = -E (y_1 - infinity) = infinity

am i on the right track?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
learningphysics
Oct10-07, 11:14 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,124
Looks right to me.