Register to reply

Derivative of a function to a function

by joex444
Tags: derivative, function
Share this thread:
joex444
Oct17-07, 09:31 AM
P: 44
I'm a tutor in physics, but was asked this question: What is the derivative of sin(x)^ln(x), with respect to x?

I'm not sure how you would go about taking the derivative of a function raised to a function.

Is there a general for for d/dx ( f(x)^g(x) )?

I understand the answer involves a ln(sin(x)), according to Maple, and would love to see how you end up with g(f(x)).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
EnumaElish
Oct17-07, 09:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,482
That's not the LN in your formula. It's a generic LN.

If g(x) = h(x)^k(x) then g'(x) = g(x) [k(x)h'(x)/h(x) + Log(h(x))k'(x)].
joex444
Oct17-07, 11:04 AM
P: 44
Thanks, that's really neat. Usually we assume k(x) to be a constant, n, so obviously k'(x) would be 0 and the second term drops, leaving us with the power rule.

nrqed
Oct17-07, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,887
Derivative of a function to a function

Quote Quote by joex444 View Post
I'm a tutor in physics, but was asked this question: What is the derivative of sin(x)^ln(x), with respect to x?

I'm not sure how you would go about taking the derivative of a function raised to a function.

Is there a general for for d/dx ( f(x)^g(x) )?

I understand the answer involves a ln(sin(x)), according to Maple, and would love to see how you end up with g(f(x)).
It must be obvious by now but just in case someone would wonder where the formula provided by Enumaelish comes from, the trick is to not differentiate g(x) itself but to differentiate [itex] \ln(g(x)) [/itex] and then to isolate g'(x).
D H
Oct17-07, 01:34 PM
Mentor
P: 15,067
The trick is to express h(x)^k(x) as exp(k(x)*Log(h(x)). Everything follows from that.

Register to reply