Using Differentials to find Error and Percent Error

by grapeape
Tags: differentials, error, percent
grapeape
Oct20-07, 04:58 PM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
One side of a right triangle is known to be 20 cm long and the opposite angle is measured as 30(degrees), with a possible error of +/- 1 degree.
a) Use differentials to estimate the error in computing the length of the hypotenuse
b) what is the percentage error.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Well, using the given data I found that the hypotenuse when x=30(degrees) is 40 cm. The equation I used was h(x)=20/sin(x). I know that the change in (h) is equal to error x h'(x). When finding h'(x) I got -20cos(x)/sin(x)^2. I'm not sure if this is correct. My book doesn't do a great job at explaining anything so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Doc Al
Oct20-07, 05:37 PM
Mentor
P: 40,905
You're almost there. Expressed in terms of differentials, h' = dh/dx. So write dh in terms of dx. dx will represent the error in angle (be sure to express dx in radians, not degrees); the equation for dh will tell you the corresponding error in the hypotenuse.
grapeape
Oct20-07, 08:12 PM
so do I do ( -20cos(30)/sin(30)^2 ) x pi/180? if so I got -1.209. Can error be negative? Or since it's both +/- 1 degree, do you also do another equation multiplying by a negative pi/180. My real questions are, how is error represented (multiple numbers, one number, a continuum)? And, how do I go about converting this to a relative error, and then percent error.

Thanks!

Doc Al
Oct21-07, 06:05 AM
Mentor
P: 40,905

Using Differentials to find Error and Percent Error

Quote Quote by grapeape View Post
so do I do ( -20cos(30)/sin(30)^2 ) x pi/180? if so I got -1.209.
Looks good. The angle is 30 +/- 1 degrees, so the hypotenuse is 40 +/- 1.2 cm. You can express that as a percent error--what percent of 40 is 1.2?
grapeape
Oct21-07, 06:08 PM
I love this forum. Thanks for all the help!

Register to reply