Register to reply

Dividing by 1 is impossible

by MrXow
Tags: dividing, impossible
Share this thread:
MrXow
Oct21-07, 11:30 PM
P: 60
Oddly enough I came across this on Uncyclopedia.
Can you really divide by 1?
I know that it can be mathematically done with ease, but physically can it be done?
Imagine a pie, and your dividing tool is your knife. If you want to divide the pie in 2 you can do that just cut the pie down the middle. If you want to divide it by 4 just cut it down the middle then do it again perpendicular to the original cut. But if you want to divide by 1 you end up not using your knife at all. You therefore don't divide the pie and do not divide by 1.

I hope this is the right forum.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
TMM
Oct21-07, 11:35 PM
P: 96
By your same logic, you can only divide by integers.
Hurkyl
Oct22-07, 12:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
Quote Quote by MrXow View Post
But if you want to divide by 1 you end up not using your knife at all. You therefore don't divide the pie and do not divide by 1.
I think this is merely a matter of language. Natural language has evolved to include an artificial distinction between "0" and "more than 0". (or more generally, between "less than 0", "0", "1", and "more than 1") While this is efficient for everyday communication, it has the unfortunate side-effect of constraining our thought -- we have a habit of excluding special cases when we really ought not to do so.

And another thing -- don't make a fallacy of equivocation. There are at least two distinct meanings for the word "divide" in your post: the English verb meaning a particular arithmetic calculation, and the English verb meaning to separate into parts. That they use the same word does not mean they are the same thing.

nesna
Oct22-07, 05:32 PM
P: 9
Dividing by 1 is impossible

Oddly enough I came across this on Uncyclopedia.
Can you really divide by 1?
I know that it can be mathematically done with ease, but physically can it be done?
Imagine a pie, and your dividing tool is your knife. If you want to divide the pie in 2 you can do that just cut the pie down the middle. If you want to divide it by 4 just cut it down the middle then do it again perpendicular to the original cut. But if you want to divide by 1 you end up not using your knife at all. You therefore don't divide the pie and do not divide by 1.

I hope this is the right forum.
what do you get, when you want to divide a pie by 1? The entire pie itself.

what do you get when you want to divide a number by 1? The number itself.
MrXow
Oct22-07, 09:11 PM
Quote Quote by nesna View Post
what do you get, when you want to divide a pie by 1? The entire pie itself.

what do you get when you want to divide a number by 1? The number itself.
Yes so you don't actually divide the pie or the number. If you want to say oh I wonder what 7/1 is. You already have the answer before you divide. And your not even dividing it up.
LightbulbSun
Oct22-07, 09:33 PM
P: 362
Yes so you don't actually divide the pie or the number. If you want to say oh I wonder what 7/1 is. You already have the answer before you divide. And your not even dividing it up.
You're confusing yourself. Of course dividing by 1 is possible. If it was impossible, you'd have no answer.
MrXow
Oct22-07, 09:39 PM
I mean its impossible because you don't actually do any dividing. The answer is already there and you do not divide it.
MrXow
Oct22-07, 09:43 PM
It's like a limit, sin(x)/x never gets to 0, but you know that it would be 1. You don't actually divide by 1 you just know that like 7/1.00000001 is roughly 7.

maybe thats a bad example.
LightbulbSun
Oct22-07, 09:44 PM
P: 362
I mean its impossible because you don't actually do any dividing. The answer is already there and you do not divide it.
So you're saying it's a tautology? That still doesn't make dividing by 1 impossible.
christianjb
Oct22-07, 09:59 PM
P: 529
It's not a totally trivial observation. It's interesting that there exist certain mathematical operations which are equivalent to doing nothing at all. Maybe the OP is going to grow up to be a group theorist!
JonF
Oct24-07, 06:53 AM
P: 617
For those of you still debating this you need to read this again:

Quote Quote by Hurkyl View Post
And another thing -- don't make a fallacy of equivocation. There are at least two distinct meanings for the word "divide" in your post: the English verb meaning a particular arithmetic calculation, and the English verb meaning to separate into parts. That they use the same word does not mean they are the same thing.
sepowens
Oct24-07, 07:04 AM
P: n/a
Dividing by one is basicly the 'do nothing' operation from group theory. It is the same as the 'add zero' operation under addition. The denominator tells how many pieces are left of the whole after you use the knife on the pie. So division by 2 is 'make one slice across the pie and leave 2 pieces', division by three is 'make 2 slices with the knife and leave three pieces,' etc. It is easy to see that on this incremental basis division by 1 is 'make no slices with the knife and leave one whole piece.' This would also go towards explaining why division by 0 is impossible as it is -1 slices with the knife and the command would be 'take away a slice that does not exist made by the knife and make the entire pie disappear (0 pieces).'
MrXow
Oct24-07, 10:00 AM
Ya the pie metaphor doesn't explain negative pie.
arildno
Oct24-07, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Please not think your kindergarten maths has anything to do with the concept of division.
MrXow
Oct24-07, 07:13 PM
Quote Quote by christianjb View Post
It's not a totally trivial observation. It's interesting that there exist certain mathematical operations which are equivalent to doing nothing at all. Maybe the OP is going to grow up to be a group theorist!
What's the OP?
christianjb
Oct24-07, 07:22 PM
P: 529
What's the OP?
Original poster
out of whack
Oct25-07, 02:21 PM
P: 465
Is this topic over yet? If it is then I need someone to explain why I cannot add 0 to my pie...
i like sleeping
Oct27-07, 02:41 PM
P: 1
Now all we need to do is learn how to physically divide the pie by a half, and never go hungry again :)

Register to reply