Determine the change in the kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the change in kinetic energy of a 45.0 kg block as it moves from point A to B, a distance of 20.0 m, while connected by a string to a 97.0 kg block with a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 45.0 kg block and incline is 0.250. The solution involves finding the constant force of friction on m1, the final velocity of the two blocks, and using this velocity to calculate the change in kinetic energy of m1. It is also noted that the change in GPE of mass 1 is not included in the solution.
pcandrepair

Homework Statement

A m1 = 45.0 kg block and a m2 = 97.0 kg block are connected by a string as in the figure below. The pulley is frictionless and of negligible mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 45.0 kg block and incline is 0.250. Determine the change in the kinetic energy of the 45.0 kg block as it moves from A to B, a distance of 20.0 m.

__________ J

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E(mechanical) = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]W(non-conservative)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the constant force of friction on m1:

(.25*m1*9.8*Cos37)

= 88.05N

Then I found the final velocity of the two system to be:

m2gd - friction force*d = 1/2(m1)Vf^2 + 1/2(m2)Vf^2

(97kg)(9.8m/s^2)(20m) - (88.05N)(20m) = 1/2(45)(Vf^2) + 1/2(97)(Vf^2)

17251 J = 1/2(45kg+97kg)(Vf^2)

Vf = sqrt((2*17251) / 142kg)

Vf = 15.5876 m/s

Then I used this velocity to find the change in kinetic energy of m1:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = Kf - Ki

= 1/2(m1)(Vf^2) - 1/2(m1)(Vf^2)

1/2(45kg)((15.5876m/s)^2) - 1/2(45kg)(0m/s)

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = 5466.9 J

This answer sounds reasonable but I was wondering if someone could check my work. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7-44alt.gif
    7-44alt.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pcandrepair said:
m2gd - friction force*d = 1/2(m1)Vf^2 + 1/2(m2)Vf^2
What about the change in GPE of mass 1?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

How is the change in kinetic energy calculated?

The change in kinetic energy is calculated by subtracting the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy. This can be represented as ΔKE = KEfinal - KEinitial.

What factors can cause a change in kinetic energy?

Changes in kinetic energy can be caused by changes in the mass or velocity of an object. It can also be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

Why is it important to determine the change in kinetic energy?

Determining the change in kinetic energy can help us understand the effects of motion and the transfer of energy in various systems. It is also important in analyzing the efficiency and performance of machines and other mechanical systems.