Barycentric Julian Date (astronomy)

• Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of barycentric julian date to equivalent UT time. The barycentric julian date is the observation epoch corrected for light propagation time to the solar system barycentre. The conversion involves using various time standards such as Terrestrial Time (TT) and Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The process can be complex and time-consuming, but online calculators and resources are available for easier conversions.
big man

Homework Statement

I'm wanting to convert barycentric julian date to the equivalent UT time. Here is a description of the barycentric julian date given to us:

Barycentric Julian Date (TT) – Observation epoch, given in terrestrial time, that has been corrected for light propagation time to the solar system barycentre.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know how to convert Julian date to UT and I know that [tex] Terrestrial Time = UT + \delta T[/tex], where the value dT can be obtained from the web. But I really wouldn't say that I understand or have found a definition of TT that makes me understand exactly what it is. Is the correction for light propagation time to the solar system barycentre just terrestrial time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My apologies for reviving such a long-dead thread, but as it's still one of the top hits for Barycentric Julian Date, some may benefit from a belated answer, if not the original poster.

big man said:
I'm wanting to convert barycentric julian date to the equivalent UT time.

UT is an ambiguous term and may mean UTC, UT1, or many other variants, all of which may vary by up to 0.9 seconds from one another. As you've described it, you're talking about UT1. However, you probably actually want UTC (if you care about the difference at all), since UTC is the international standard, and what your clock is most likely to use. It's also much easier to calculate, as it depends on discrete leap seconds, not the continuously variable quantity [tex] \delta t [/tex].

If I'm right about that, or you don't care about the 0.9 second difference, you can use my online calculator (http://astroutils.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/time/bjd2utc.html), which converts from Barycentric Julian Date in Barycentric Dynamical Time (BJD_TDB) to the Julian Date in Coordinated Universal Time (JD_UTC) for objects outside of the solar system.

Note: BJD_TDB is the same as BJD in Terrestial Time (BJD_TT) to with +/- 1.7 ms.

Doing the precise conversion yourself is extremely involved (see the paper linked at the end of my response for the steps if you really want to...).

big man said:
Is the correction for light propagation time to the solar system barycentre just terrestrial time?

No, the observed time corrected for the light propagation time from the observer to the Solar System Barycenter is the Barycentric Julian Date (BJD). However, the BJD can be specified in any time standard (eg, TT, TDB, UTC, etc).

Terrestrial Time (TT) is a time standard. Wikipedia has an excellent article describing it if you care about the details. The important thing is that it is commonly used in astronomical timing and can differ from UTC by more than 1 minute.

A more thorough explanation of the BJD, time standards, and more than you ever wanted to know about astronomical timing can be found in my paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.4415

1. What is a Barycentric Julian Date (BJD)?

A Barycentric Julian Date (BJD) is a time measurement used in astronomy to account for the changes in the Earth's orbit around the Sun. It is based on the Julian Date (JD), which is a continuous count of days since January 1, 4713 BC. The BJD takes into account the motion of the Earth's center of mass, or barycenter, as it orbits around the Sun.

2. How is BJD different from other time measurements?

Unlike other time measurements, such as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), BJD is not affected by the Earth's rotation or other factors that can alter the length of a day. BJD is a more precise and accurate way to measure time in astronomical observations.

3. Why is BJD important in astronomy?

BJD is important in astronomy because it allows for more accurate and consistent time measurements in observations of celestial objects. This is particularly crucial when studying objects that are far away from Earth, such as exoplanets, where even small variations in time measurements can affect the data and results.

4. How is BJD calculated?

BJD is calculated by taking the Julian Date (JD) and correcting it for the motion of the Earth's barycenter. This correction takes into account the Earth's orbit around the Sun, as well as the gravitational influence of other planets and bodies in the solar system.

5. Can BJD be converted to other time measurements?

Yes, BJD can be converted to other time measurements, such as UTC or GMT, using conversion formulas. However, it is important to note that these conversions may not be as precise as BJD itself, as they do not take into account the barycentric correction.