Register to reply

Very simple calculus problem...graphs and velocity/time graphs to acceleration.

Share this thread:
TexasCow
Nov1-07, 08:40 PM
P: 40
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm studying for a Calculus test and I am having trouble on a problem. And who better to ask than the members of physicsforums!?

Basically, we are studying average acceleration, velocity, secant and tangent lines. We are given the graph of a function, and its corresponding data points.

The question asks:
"Find the average acceleration of the car, in f/s, over the interval 0<t<50.(The inequality signs are acutally "less than or equal to", but I don't know how to input such characters.)

I'm aware that the derivative of a velocity time graph is its acceleration/time graph. So I assume that the slope of the line is the acceleration. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to fit a best line, or derive an equation. Is there another way of doing this? Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
EnumaElish
Nov1-07, 09:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,481
Think about it this way: derivative is essentially the limit of dy/dx where "dy" stands for the change in y (e.g., from one data point to the next). Similarly for x. How would you apply dy/dx when the change isn't "infinitesimal" (i.e. limit)?

To recap:
Instantaneous change = derivative = we take the limit
Average change = ratio = we do not take the limit

Register to reply