Normal Force Calculation for Loop-the-Loop Block: Physics Homework Solution

In summary, the problem involves a block sliding along a frictionless loop-the-loop with an initial velocity and a given height. The task is to determine the normal force that the track exerts on the block at point Q, using the principles of inertia and energy. The normal force will be downwards and gravity will also be acting on the block. The resultant force can be found by adding the force vectors of the centripetal and gravitational forces.
Kingrick

Homework Statement

A small block with mass m=0.100kg can slide along the frictionless loop-the-loop, with loop radius R=0.15m, an initial velocity along the track of vi= 2.0 m/s at point P, at height h=2.0R above the bottom loop.

ok now, so first part to the question is,

determine the normal force that the track exerts on the block when it is at the point Q. Include a FBD in your answer and cleraly identify the laws of physics that are used to solve the problem.

Homework Equations

f=ma
pe=ke

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, for my attempt at solving this I'll tell you what i was thinking. I look at this and think it must be inertia holding the block in, and i started thinking there must be something to do with energy in the question, but when i started with energy I realized that finding Vf would not help me know what the normal force at point Q is.

So after examining the question further I realized I'm not sure how to solve it, because if F=ma, and the block is decelerating (which a=9.8 i believe) then Vf gets me no where. But i know that the wall must exert a force on the block to keep it in the circle.

any help would be appreciated on how to solve normal forces in situations like this.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is the force of the loop-the-loop pushing on the block would you agree. So let's start here: What direction is the normal force when the block is at the top of the loop, and what other forces are acting on the block and in which direction(s)?

well, the normal force should be downwards, and gravity would be acting on it. and i think that would be it.

Where is point Q? P is apparently at the top of the loop, h = 2R = D.

There is a force (centripetal) that always points along the radius of the loop, i.e. it is normal to the circumference of the loop, and it changes orientation with respect to vertical. The force due to gravity is always pointing downward.

For the resultant force, one simply adds the force vectors.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

2. How is normal force calculated?

Normal force is calculated by using the formula FN = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the importance of normal force?

Normal force plays a crucial role in understanding the mechanics of objects in contact with each other. It helps determine the equilibrium of forces and the stability of objects.

4. Can normal force be negative?

No, normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in the direction perpendicular to the surface of contact and can only have a positive value.

5. How does normal force affect motion?

Normal force does not affect the motion of an object. It only prevents the object from penetrating or passing through the surface it is in contact with.