Comparing Kinetic Energy of Objects with Different Masses: A Simple Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 0.2 kg plastic card and a 20 kg lead cart rolling without friction on a horizontal surface. Both carts are pushed with equal forces over a distance of 1m from rest. The question asks if the kinetic energy of the plastic cart is greater than, less than, or equal to the kinetic energy of the lead cart. The conversation concludes that the kinetic energy would be the same due to the velocities making up for the difference in masses, and this is supported by the equation for work done on a body being equal to force times displacement, leading to a change in kinetic energy.
feedmeister
Hi all,

This really isn't a homework question, but rather a "coursework" question. It's pretty simple, I'm just trying to understand the concept. It's a workbook problem from my book.

Homework Statement

A 0.2 kg plastic card and a 20 kg lead cart both roll without friction on a horizontal surface. Equal forces are used to push both carts forward a distance of 1m, starting from rest. After traveling 1m, is the kinetic energy of the plastic cart greater than, less than, or equal to the kinetic energy of the lead cart? Explain.

Homework Equations

K.E. = (1/2)m*v^2
F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it'd be the same because the velocities would make up for the difference in masses since there's the same amount of force.

If you can explain it to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done on a body = Force X displacement = Change in KE.

Ah, yes I forgot that equation. So I guess I was right.

Thanks!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is represented by the symbol "KE" and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v², where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a cart?

The kinetic energy of a cart is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of the cart, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This can happen through processes like friction or collisions.

5. How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy is important in everyday life as it is the energy that allows objects to move and perform work. It is involved in activities such as driving a car, throwing a ball, and running. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of machines and technology.