Kinetic Energy

by feedmeister
Tags: energy, kinetic
Share this thread:
feedmeister
Nov18-07, 09:56 AM
P: 22
Hi all,

This really isn't a homework question, but rather a "coursework" question. It's pretty simple, I'm just trying to understand the concept. It's a workbook problem from my book.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 0.2 kg plastic card and a 20 kg lead cart both roll without friction on a horizontal surface. Equal forces are used to push both carts forward a distance of 1m, starting from rest. After traveling 1m, is the kinetic energy of the plastic cart greater than, less than, or equal to the kinetic energy of the lead cart? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
K.E. = (1/2)m*v^2
F = m*a

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it'd be the same because the velocities would make up for the difference in masses since there's the same amount of force.

If you can explain it to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
rl.bhat
Nov18-07, 10:14 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,435
Work done on a body = Force X displacement = Change in KE.
feedmeister
Nov18-07, 10:21 AM
P: 22
Ah, yes I forgot that equation. So I guess I was right.

Thanks!

Register to reply