Moment of Inertia of Disc Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a compound disk made up of a solid disk and a concentric ring. Using the appropriate equations for moment of inertia, the solution involves calculating the mass of the inner disk and the concentric ring, and then using the moment of inertia equation for a solid disk and a thin-walled hollow cylinder. The outer disk with a diameter of 140.0cm does not qualify as thin-walled and requires a different equation. With the help of a picture and the correct approach, the correct answer can be obtained.
rwx1606
[SOLVED] Moment of Inertia Problem

Homework Statement

A compound disk of outside diameter 140.0cm is made up of a uniform solid disk of radius 50.0cm and area density of 3.00 g/cm^2 surrounded by a concentric ring of inner radius 50.0cm, outer radius 70.0cm, and area density 2.00 g/cm^2. Find the moment of inertia of this object about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the object and passing through its center.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder: I=1/2MR^2
Moment of inertia of a thin-walled hollow cylinder: I=MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I don't really know how this thing looks. What I did was calculate the mass of the inner circle using the area density and then used the moment of inertia equation for a solid cylinder. Then I calculated the mass of the concentric ring using the given area density and calculated the area of this ring by subtracting the area solid disk from the concentric ring. Again, I used the moment of inertia of a thin-walled hollow cylinder for this part. The last part is finding the moment of inertia of the outer disc with the diameter of 140.0cm. There's no area density given for this outer disc so I don't know how to calculate its moment of inertia. Then again I could be approaching this whole problem wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are only two parts of the composite disk, the inner solid disk and the concentric ring. Note that the diameter of the concentric ring is 140 cm.

The composite disk looks like this:

...OOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOiiiiiiOOOOOOOOO
..OOOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOOOO
..OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOO
.OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOO
.OOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOO
OOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOO
OOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOO
OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOO
.OOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOO
.OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOO
..OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOO
..OOOOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiiOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOOiiiiiiOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
...OOOOOOOOO

The outer disk (50 cm inner radius, 70 cm outer radius) does not qualify as thin-walled. You need to use some other equation.

thanks a lot! I must have been reading the problem as a compound disk with an outside radius of 140.0cm instead of diameter. You picture was really helpful, and when I used the moment of inertia for a hollow cylinder I ended up with the right answer. Thanks a lot again!

You're welcome. Thread marked as "solved".

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disc?

The moment of inertia of a disc, also known as the rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is a scalar quantity that depends on the mass and distribution of mass in the disc.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a disc calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disc can be calculated using the formula I = ½mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disc, and r is the radius of the disc.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical properties of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a disc affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a disc affects its rotational motion by determining how difficult it is to change its rotational speed. A disc with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate compared to a disc with a lower moment of inertia.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a disc change with its shape?

The moment of inertia of a disc changes with its shape as it depends on the distribution of mass within the disc. A disc with a larger radius or a thicker disc will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a disc with a smaller radius or a thinner disc.