Register to reply

What is the most competitive field in USA?

by rukshan
Tags: competitive, field
Share this thread:
rukshan
Nov26-07, 09:47 AM
P: 10
What is the most competitive and least competitive field in USA?

Is it Astronomy? Astrophysics?

Is it condensed matter physics?

Is it high energy / nuclear physics?

or Bio physics ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Locrian
Nov26-07, 10:17 AM
P: 1,737
Heh. Law, of course!
rukshan
Nov26-07, 11:40 AM
I mean physics fields

Asphodel
Nov26-07, 12:31 PM
P: 451
What is the most competitive field in USA?

Depending on how specialized you make your subfield, it's easy to find physics fields with well under 1000 people in them. Competitive might not be the best descriptor?
robphy
Nov26-07, 12:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
Define competitive... including criteria (funding? new-faculty opportunities? postdoc opportunities? etc).
mathwonk
Nov26-07, 04:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
profesional basketball, hands down, is more competitive than any of those areas you mentioned. those graduate programs are begging for students, and in pro bball, fantastic players are looking for a living.
Helical
Nov26-07, 05:40 PM
P: 75
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
profesional basketball, hands down, is more competitive than any of those areas you mentioned. those graduate programs are begging for students, and in pro bball, fantastic players are looking for a living.
Do I laugh or cry..?

By the way.. Are astronomy/astrophysics programs really begging for students, I always thought these were sort of popular fields but that might just be because I've always like them?
rukshan
Nov27-07, 10:07 AM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
Is this the best answer you can give?
ank_gl
Nov27-07, 10:23 AM
P: 733
why do you want to know whats the most competitive??? chose any field, and you ll ofcourse find competition if you are good
Asphodel
Nov27-07, 11:15 AM
P: 451
Quote Quote by rukshan View Post
Is this the best answer you can give?
You've got three posts saying your question is too vague. Is that the best clarification you can give?
rukshan
Nov27-07, 12:26 PM
Quote Quote by Asphodel View Post
You've got three posts saying your question is too vague. Is that the best clarification you can give?
if my question is too vague,simply don't answer. People who can answer have already answered and will answer. I understand the competition(popularity) depends on state and university and I just want personal opinions. I'm simply asking about the opportunities for those fields.
robphy
Nov27-07, 12:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,119
http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/grad_subfield.html
http://www.aip.org/statistics/
DrClapeyron
Nov28-07, 11:54 PM
P: 128
Well, if a meteor having entered through the ceiling of the McDonald's on Louisiana and Austin wipes out every known name in a certain field of physics, then I would say it was a competitive field.
mathwonk
Nov29-07, 02:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
you have a lot of nerve to be asking for help and also criticizing the responses you get. if you diss the advice you get for free, find your own answers. you are not providing anything of value here, so we will not suffer from incurring your displeasure.
flyingpig
May2-10, 10:33 AM
P: 2,568
Probably Engineering.

Register to reply