Should I go for engineering or not

• Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I'd say engineering is the way to go.In summary, the speaker is a high school student who is struggling to decide what to study in college. They have a strong interest in math and have considered multiple options such as physics, engineering, and biology. They have received advice to pursue a field that involves a lot of math, but have also been warned that engineering may not involve as much math as they would like. They are considering the possibility of studying both math and biology in order to satisfy their interests and curiosity.
The_Z_Factor
Ive been doing a lot of thinking lately. I am in high school now and thinking about what I want to study. Its been really I guess you could say "wishy-washy" for me because I like to do math alot, and I've been thinking about doing physics. I like physics but I like doing plain math much more so it came across my mind that maybe I'd want to be a mathematician but I don't think I'd like that alot..and I've seen people talk about a lot of physicists becoming engineers. So I was thinking maybe engineering would be the thing for me? I am not sure..any advice? I know nothing about engineering though, all I know is that a lot of math is required from what I've read.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in high school, I had the same problem. I loved math but I wasn't sure that I wanted to study math just for the sake of math. I knew I wanted to do something that was heavy in math. I ended up choosing Aerospace Engineering because it's math-intensive and I love space travel. I aspired to become an Astronautical Engineer. Anyways, I did that for a year and decided that I absolutely could not stand engineering. I just couldn't see my life going in that direction and I couldn't see myself happy as an engineer. That being said, I chose my plan B, which was mathematics. That is what I am doing right now and so far I love it way better than engineering. I am not saying that being a math major is necessarily right for you. You have to decide that for yourself. What I am saying is that if you really love math, don't completely rule it out as a major.

Hmm, thanks alot, that sort of helps, because at the moment I haven't the slightest clue what to do because I've been thinking about all the possibilities I could do with math. I just don't know which would be the best for me. Engineering came up because it's pretty heavy in math but like you said I don't feel I'd be happy as an engineer I just can't see myself doing it, now that I think of it... I love physics but after doing a bit of research on the different fields I don't know which field I'd want to go into. Probably astrophysics but who knows. I don't know if I'd want to be in that work environment though.. What I seem to be looking for is a job where I could work outdoors around nature that involves doing a lot of math. I thought biology for some time, because I like stuff like how leaves and plants make their own energy, and it seems like something I wouldn't mind studied, seeing as I find it fascinating. Maybe biology would be the thing for me. Hmm...I wonder, could you be a biologist and a physicist/mathematician at the same time? If so, I wouldn't mind going to school for even longer to study both mathematics/physics and biology...

To emphasize on the biology subject, I think perhaps biology might be the subject for me. I love seeing how things in nature work, such as like said before how plants and leaves create their energy from sunlight..and I just really like to be outdoors and around nature. I don't think I can think of anything I'd love more to do than work outside all around nature or studying nature. So perhaps that'd be the thing for me. I have no idea how I could tie that into math though. Who knows what kind of biology I'd do though..wonder what bio-physicists do? My friend goes to the Sylvan Learning Center to do his homework and he works with a man named Jonathan who has a Ph.D in physics and geology, a geo-physicist. I'm going to look into this, though.

Hmph, and ironically, I hate horticulture, haha. I'm sure there are other fields in biology that deal with plants and such though. I took a horticulture class last year and I absolutely could not stand it.

The_Z_Factor said:
Hmm, thanks alot, that sort of helps, because at the moment I haven't the slightest clue what to do because I've been thinking about all the possibilities I could do with math. I just don't know which would be the best for me. Engineering came up because it's pretty heavy in math but like you said I don't feel I'd be happy as an engineer I just can't see myself doing it, now that I think of it... I love physics but after doing a bit of research on the different fields I don't know which field I'd want to go into. Probably astrophysics but who knows. I don't know if I'd want to be in that work environment though.. What I seem to be looking for is a job where I could work outdoors around nature that involves doing a lot of math. I thought biology for some time, because I like stuff like how leaves and plants make their own energy, and it seems like something I wouldn't mind studied, seeing as I find it fascinating. Maybe biology would be the thing for me. Hmm...I wonder, could you be a biologist and a physicist/mathematician at the same time? If so, I wouldn't mind going to school for even longer to study both mathematics/physics and biology...

If you want a job that involves DOING a lot of math, then I don't know if engineering is right for you. I go to a school that is mainly known for it's engineering and a lot of graduates in engineering say that they almost never use any of the math they learned in their undergraduate studies. If you want a job that involves doing a lot of high level math to satisfy your ambitions and curiosity in mathematics, then you'd probably want to go into research in mathematics or theoretical physics. Or if you want work for an engineering company AND do a lot of math, you can major in applied mathematics. My Vector Calculus professor keeps talking about all the math that engineers will have to do for their jobs but he is full of crap. He works for JPL but does NOT have an engineering degree. He went into applied mathematics. That is something you might also want to consider.

The_Z_Factor said:
To emphasize on the biology subject, I think perhaps biology might be the subject for me. I love seeing how things in nature work, such as like said before how plants and leaves create their energy from sunlight..and I just really like to be outdoors and around nature. I don't think I can think of anything I'd love more to do than work outside all around nature or studying nature. So perhaps that'd be the thing for me. I have no idea how I could tie that into math though. Who knows what kind of biology I'd do though..wonder what bio-physicists do? My friend goes to the Sylvan Learning Center to do his homework and he works with a man named Jonathan who has a Ph.D in physics and geology, a geo-physicist. I'm going to look into this, though.

If you like biology and mathematics, have you thought about environmental modeling? I was doing that for a while and i enjoyed it a lot. If you like biology and math, it could be a great match.

Also, geophysics is kind of neat.

What is engineering?

Engineering is a field of study and practice that involves the application of science, mathematics, and practical knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

What are the benefits of pursuing engineering?

Some potential benefits of pursuing engineering include high job demand, competitive salaries, opportunities for creativity and problem-solving, and the ability to make a positive impact on society through innovation and technological advancements.

Am I suited for engineering?

Engineering requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. If you enjoy these subjects and have an interest in creating and improving things, then engineering may be a good fit for you.

What are the different types of engineering?

There are many branches of engineering, including civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, computer, aerospace, and environmental engineering. Each discipline focuses on a specific aspect of design and construction, such as buildings, machines, electronics, chemicals, software, or natural environments.

What are the job opportunities for engineers?

The demand for engineers is expected to continue growing in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, healthcare, energy, and technology. Some potential job titles for engineers include project engineer, design engineer, research engineer, and quality engineer.