Register to reply

Just brushing up on chemistry

by lostsheep
Tags: brushing, chemistry
Share this thread:
lostsheep
Nov28-07, 10:51 PM
P: 1
Hey guys, im new here. I am a college student that is trying to brush up on some chemistry. I am reading an old textbook that I have, and I didnt understand something.

I was wondering how some would use the Kb of a weak base, how they would determine the value of Ka for the conjugate base?

A sample problem in the book is: A weak acid has a Kb= 1.5 x 10^-9. What is the value of Ka for the conjugate base?

I have read the whole chapter over Acid & Bases, but it says this problem is on the cd-rom that is included with my book. Yet, i never recieved that cd when I bought my book. I have tried searching but have had no luck. Any help would be great. I am just trying to understand the relationship between Ka and Kb. Thanks again.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
eli64
Nov28-07, 11:21 PM
P: 133
Kw = Ka x Kb = 1 x 10^-14
ShawnD
Nov28-07, 11:35 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
K is called a dissociation constant

What K states is that there is a certain amount of dissociation at any given time, and almost everything has one of these numbers. Something like lead chloride will have a K value to say how soluble it is. Here you are talking about water, and K relates to water breaking from HOH into H and OH. For water, the dissociation constant is 10^-14.

[tex][H^+] * [OH^-] = 10^{-14}[/tex]

[tex]K_A * K_B = 10^{-14}[/tex]

[tex]pK_A + pK_B = 14[/tex]

Register to reply