How can Kb be used to determine Ka for a conjugate base in chemistry?

• Thread starter lostsheep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about using Kb to determine the value of Ka for a weak acid's conjugate base. The person asking the question has read the related chapter but could not find the problem in their textbook and has not received the accompanying CD-ROM. The response explains the relationship between Ka and Kb, and how K values represent the dissociation of substances. It then provides the equation for calculating the dissociation constant for water and the relationship between pKa and pKb.
lostsheep
Hey guys, I am new here. I am a college student that is trying to brush up on some chemistry. I am reading an old textbook that I have, and I didnt understand something.

I was wondering how some would use the Kb of a weak base, how they would determine the value of Ka for the conjugate base?

A sample problem in the book is: A weak acid has a Kb= 1.5 x 10^-9. What is the value of Ka for the conjugate base?

I have read the whole chapter over Acid & Bases, but it says this problem is on the cd-rom that is included with my book. Yet, i never received that cd when I bought my book. I have tried searching but have had no luck. Any help would be great. I am just trying to understand the relationship between Ka and Kb. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kw = Ka x Kb = 1 x 10^-14

K is called a dissociation constant

What K states is that there is a certain amount of dissociation at any given time, and almost everything has one of these numbers. Something like lead chloride will have a K value to say how soluble it is. Here you are talking about water, and K relates to water breaking from HOH into H and OH. For water, the dissociation constant is 10^-14.

[tex][H^+] * [OH^-] = 10^{-14}[/tex]

[tex]K_A * K_B = 10^{-14}[/tex]

[tex]pK_A + pK_B = 14[/tex]

1. What is "just brushing up on chemistry"?

"Just brushing up on chemistry" refers to reviewing or refreshing one's knowledge and understanding of chemistry. It could be for a variety of reasons, such as preparing for an exam or simply wanting to stay up-to-date on the subject.

2. Why is it important to brush up on chemistry?

Chemistry is a fundamental science that helps us understand the world around us. It has applications in various fields, including medicine, engineering, and environmental science. By brushing up on chemistry, you can deepen your understanding of these concepts and their real-world applications.

3. How can I brush up on chemistry?

There are several ways to brush up on chemistry, including reviewing notes and textbooks, practicing problems and equations, watching educational videos, and attending study groups or tutoring sessions. You can also try experimenting with hands-on activities or simulations to reinforce your understanding.

4. What are some tips for effectively brushing up on chemistry?

Some tips for effectively brushing up on chemistry include setting a schedule and sticking to it, breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks, actively engaging with the material by taking notes or asking questions, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to use mnemonic devices or create visual aids to aid in memory retention.

5. How long does it take to brush up on chemistry?

The amount of time it takes to brush up on chemistry will vary depending on your current knowledge and the level of depth you want to achieve. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months, depending on your study habits and the amount of material you need to cover. It's important to give yourself enough time and not rush through the process to ensure a thorough understanding.