Roots of polynomial

by rock.freak667
Tags: polynomial, roots
rock.freak667
Nov29-07, 08:46 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,214
Considering the roots of a cubic polynomial([itex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex]),[itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma[/itex]

[tex]\sum \alpha=\frac{-b}{a}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \alpha\beta=\frac{c}{a}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \alpha\beta\gamma=\frac{-d}{a}[/tex]

If I have those sums of roots..and I am told to find [itex]\alpha^9+\beta^9+\gamma^9[/tex] is there any easy way to find this without having to expand?

and also for a quartic polynomial
when I expand [itex](x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma)(x-\delta)[/itex]
I get:
[tex]x^4-(\alpha+\beta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delta+\beta\gamma)x^3+(\a lpha\beta+\gamma\delta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delta+\beta\delt a)x^2 -(\alpha\beta\gamma+\alpha\beta\delta+\alpha\gamma\delta+\gamma\delta\be ta)x+\alpha\beta\gamma\delta[/tex]
for -x^3 I am supposed to get the sum of the roots...yet I expanded correctly, where did i go wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Ben Niehoff
Nov29-07, 09:17 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,563
On the last bit, you obviously didn't expand correctly, but with no intermediate steps, I don't see how one could say where you went wrong, exactly.
rock.freak667
Nov29-07, 09:38 PM
HW Helper
Oh I thought I typed it out well this is it

[tex](x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma)(x-\delta)

=(x^2-(\alpha+\beta)+)(x^2-(\gamma\delta)+(\gamma\delta)[/tex]

=[tex]x^4-(\alpha+\beta)x^3+\alpha\beta x^2
-(\alpha+\beta)(\gamma+\delta)x^3+(\alpha+\beta)(\gamma+\delta)x^2-\alpha\beta(\gamma+\delta)x

+\alpha\gamma x^2-\gamma\delta(\alpha+\beta)x+\alpha\beta\gamma\delta[/tex]

=

[tex]x^4-(\alpha+\beta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delt a+\beta\gamma)x^3+(\alpha\beta+\gamma\delta+\alpha \gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delta+\beta\delta)x^2 -(\alpha\beta\gamma+\alpha\beta\delta+\alpha\gamma\ delta+\gamma\delta\beta)x+\alpha\beta\gamma\delta[/tex]

Xevarion
Nov29-07, 11:31 PM
P: 75

Roots of polynomial

Something is wrong in your expansion. Try:
[tex](x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) = (x^2 - (a+b)x + ab)(x^2 - (c+d)x + cd) [/tex]
[tex] = x^4 - (c+d)x^3 + cdx^2 - (a+b)x^3 + (a+b)(c+d)x^2 - cd(a+b)x + abx^2 - ab(c+d)x + abcd [/tex]
[tex] = x^4 - (a+b+c+d)x^3 + (ab + cd + ac + ad + bc + bd)x^2 - (acd + bcd + abc + abd)x + abcd[/tex]
which is what you'd expect.

For the first problem, try using the Newton's sums trick.
Ben Niehoff
Nov30-07, 03:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,563
Quote Quote by rock.freak667 View Post
Oh I thought I typed it out well this is it

=(x^2-(\alpha+\beta)+)(x^2-(\gamma\delta)+(\gamma\delta)[/tex]
The very first line is your mistake. This should be

=(x^2-(\alpha+\beta)x+\alpha\beta)(x^2-(\gamma+ \delta)x+ \gamma\delta)[/tex]
rock.freak667
Nov30-07, 06:33 PM
HW Helper
No, I typed it wrongly, on paper I expanded it and found my error...so thanks...

but is there any general formula that will give me the sums of the roots in a form that I need rather than having to expand it?
Xevarion
Nov30-07, 08:04 PM
Read the page I linked to about Newton sums. There's nothing faster than that, I think; that method allows you to calculate that kind of stuff pretty quickly though.
Integral
Nov30-07, 08:27 PM
Mentor
P: 7,292
Quote Quote by rock.freak667 View Post
Considering the roots of a cubic polynomial([itex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex]),[itex]\alpha,\beta,\gamma[/itex]

[tex]\sum \alpha=\frac{-b}{a}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \alpha\beta=\frac{c}{a}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \alpha\beta\gamma=\frac{-d}{a}[/tex]

If I have those sums of roots..and I am told to find [itex]\alpha^9+\beta^9+\gamma^9[/tex] is there any easy way to find this without having to expand?

and also for a quartic polynomial
when I expand [itex](x-\alpha)(x-\beta)(x-\gamma)(x-\delta)[/itex]
I get:
[tex]x^4-(\alpha+\beta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delta+\beta\gamma)x^3+(\a lpha\beta+\gamma\delta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma+\alpha\delta+\beta\delt a)x^2 -(\alpha\beta\gamma+\alpha\beta\delta+\alpha\gamma\delta+\gamma\delta\be ta)x+\alpha\beta\gamma\delta[/tex]
for -x^3 I am supposed to get the sum of the roots...yet I expanded correctly, where did i go wrong?
I have to admit that I do not understand your notation. If the 3 roots are [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma [/itex] Then what do your sums mean?
rock.freak667
Nov30-07, 08:37 PM
HW Helper
Oh well...
[itex]\sum \alpha[/itex] is simply the sum of the roots taking one at a time, i.e.[itex]\alpha+\beta+\gamma[/itex]

and well [itex]\sum \alpha\beta[/itex] is the sum of the roots taking two at a time, i.e. [itex]\alpha\beta+\alpha\gamma+\beta\gamma[/itex]

and for newton's sums

I get up to the 3rd sum formula

but I dont get how I would find an expression to find S[itex]_9[/itex] or for 4 and higher
Xevarion
Nov30-07, 11:38 PM
So, in the notation of that link, [tex]a_{n-k}[/tex] is the sum of the products of roots taking [tex]k[/tex] at a time. In your cubic equation, [tex]a_3 = a, a_2 = b, a_1 = c, a_0 = d[/tex]. Using the Newton sum equations, you can find [tex]S_1, S_2[/tex] and so on, up through [tex]S_9[/tex], which is what you asked for.

[tex]aS_1 + b = 0[/tex]
[tex]aS_2 + bS_1 + 2c = 0[/tex]
[tex]aS_3 + bS_2 + cS_1 + 3d = 0[/tex]
[tex]aS_4 + bS_3 + cS_2 + dS_1 = 0[/tex] (there's nothing after [tex]d[/tex])
[tex]aS_5 + bS_4 + cS_3 + dS_2 = 0[/tex]
So you should be able to get all the way to [tex]S_9[/tex] on your own this way.
rock.freak667
Dec1-07, 01:00 PM
HW Helper
ah ok...but if there was something after d it would be
[tex]aS_5 + bS_4 + cS_3 + dS_2 + eS_1 = 0[/tex] ?
Xevarion
Dec1-07, 01:37 PM
right
rock.freak667
Dec1-07, 02:10 PM
HW Helper
oh thanks, then...this is a real help...Now i can do my roots of polynomials questions even faster now

Edit: so in general the sums would be like this

[tex]aS_n + bS_{n-1}+cS_{n-2}+...+ n[/tex]*(The term independent of x in polynomial)

Register to reply