Share this thread:
Beowulf2007
Dec12-07, 01:14 PM
P: 18
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Dear All,

I have this problem here.

Part(1)

Let Y be a stochastic variable with the distribution function [tex]F_{Y}[/tex] given by:

[tex]P(Y \leq y) = F_{Y}(y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} \ 0& \ \ \mathrm{if} \ y < 0 \\ sin(y)& \ \ \mathrm{if} \ y \in [0,\pi/2] \\ 1& \ \ \mathrm{if} \ y > 0. \end{array}[/tex]

Explain why Y is absolute continious and give the density [tex]f_{Y}.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Proof

Using the following theorem:

Let X be a stochastic variable with the distribution function F, Assuming that F is continuous and that F' exists in all but finite many points [tex]x_{1} < x_{2} < x_\ldots < x_{n}[/tex]. Then X is absolutely continuous with the desensity

[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} F'(x) \ \ &\mathrm{if} \ \ x \notin \{x_{1}, x_{2}, \ldots, x_{n} \} \\ 0 \ \ &\mathrm{if} \ \ x \in \{x_{1}, x_{2}, \ldots, x_{n} \}. \end{array}[/tex]

By the theorem above its clearly visable that [tex]F_Y[/tex] is continous everywhere by the definition of continouty, then F' exists and thusly

[tex]f_{Y} = \frac{d}{dy}(sin(y)) = cos(y).[/tex]

Therefore Y is absolute continious.

Part two

Let X be a absolute continous stochastic variable with the probability density [tex]f_{X}[/tex] given by

[tex]f_{X}(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} \frac{1}{9}|x|& \ \ \mathrm{if} \ \ x \in ]-3,3[ \\ 0& \ \ \mathrm{otherwise.} \end{array}[/tex]

Show that [tex]P(|X| \leq 1) = \frac{1}{9}.[/tex]

Proof

Since we know that the density function is given according to the definition

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) dx = \int_{-3}^{3} \frac{1}{9}|x| dx = 1[/tex] Then to obtain where [tex]P(|X| \leq 1)[/tex] we analyse the interval

[tex]x \in \{-1,1\}[/tex] from which we obtain

[tex]P(|X| \leq 1) = \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{9}|x| dx = \frac{1}{9} \cdot \int_{-1}^{1} |x| dx = [\frac{x \cdot |x|}{18}]_{x=-1}^{1} = \frac{1}{9}.[/tex]

How does part one and two look? Do I need to add more text if yes what?

The problem is correctly formulated from my textbook.

Thanks in advance.

BR
Beowulf....
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages

Register to reply