Question on Refractor Telescope !

by willingtolearn
Tags: refractor, telescope
willingtolearn
Dec17-07, 10:42 PM
P: 62
I am plan on building a small refractor telescope about 20 cm long, i need your guys help !
1. What len is use for Objective len and what len is use for Eyepiece len ? (how is it look like)
2. How far should i place objective len and eyepiece len apart ?
3. If i make a 20 cm long refractor telescope, what is the diameter should the objective len and eyepiece len should be ?
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quest for extraterrestrial life not over, experts say
Continents may be a key feature of Super-Earths
Astronomers discover first self-lensing binary star system
mgb_phys
Dec17-07, 11:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
The simplest refractor is a keplerian telescope
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telescope)
It just needs 2 convex lenses about 1" diamter for the objective and 1/2" for the eyepiece, the wiki link explains how to position them.
willingtolearn
Jan22-08, 07:54 PM
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
The simplest refractor is a keplerian telescope
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telescope)
It just needs 2 convex lenses about 1" diamter for the objective and 1/2" for the eyepiece, the wiki link explains how to position them.
Thanks ! But i couldn't find the answers for my questions from that. Help please ?

mgb_phys
Jan23-08, 01:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961

Question on Refractor Telescope !

If you want an overla tube length of 200mm you need the focal lengths of the two lenses to add to 200mm.
So you need an objective lens of around 150mm focal length and roughly 25mm diamter with an eyepiece lens of 50mm focal lenght and roughly 12mm diamter.
You can measure the actual focal lenghts by focusing an image of the sun onto paper and measuring the lens distance with a ruler.
Then just put the two lenses in a tube separated by the sum of their focal lengths and you will have a rather crude telescope. It won't have a good image quality but it will show you what Galileo / Kepler saw when the first used one.
Rib5
Jan26-08, 01:52 PM
P: 56
The other posts got most of the stuff pretty much. But to get the most magnification out of your telescope you want the focal point on the first lens to be the largest possible, and then the focal length on the eyepiece to be as short as possible. But making it too short causes aberrations and imperfections, so you need to find a balance between the two lenses. I just know what the mathematical stuff is but I have no idea what the practical measurements are so I would go with what the person above me said :)
willingtolearn
Jan26-08, 04:39 PM
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
If you want an overla tube length of 200mm you need the focal lengths of the two lenses to add to 200mm.
So you need an objective lens of around 150mm focal length and roughly 25mm diamter with an eyepiece lens of 50mm focal lenght and roughly 12mm diamter.
You can measure the actual focal lenghts by focusing an image of the sun onto paper and measuring the lens distance with a ruler.
Then just put the two lenses in a tube separated by the sum of their focal lengths and you will have a rather crude telescope. It won't have a good image quality but it will show you what Galileo / Kepler saw when the first used one.
Quote Quote by Rib5 View Post
The other posts got most of the stuff pretty much. But to get the most magnification out of your telescope you want the focal point on the first lens to be the largest possible, and then the focal length on the eyepiece to be as short as possible. But making it too short causes aberrations and imperfections, so you need to find a balance between the two lenses. I just know what the mathematical stuff is but I have no idea what the practical measurements are so I would go with what the person above me said :)
Thanks all ! Now i'm start building it
willingtolearn
Jan26-08, 04:55 PM
And one last question, why the image is inverted ? which is up side down

Register to reply