Max Force from a Car: Decoding the Limits of Torque and Final Drive Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the maximum force a car can create, using torque, gear ratios, and tire diameter. However, there are many dynamic factors involved in the acceleration of a car, making it difficult to accurately determine the maximum force. Suggestions are made to look into the numbers for top-fuel dragsters and to use a dragstrip ET estimation calculator for a more precise calculation.
Tiiba
I tried to figure out the absolute maximum force that a car can create. But the numbers I got are obviously wrong.

I started by trying it on the http://www.supercars.net/cars/1177.html" . Torque is 649.4 Nm. First gear is 3.23. Then there's a "final drive ratio" of 2.37. I thought that this is first gear multiplied by the rear differential, and should be around 10. So I decided that this is the rear differential, and got a product of 7.6551. So the torque at the axle is 649.4*7.6551 = 4971.22194. Given a tire diameter of .315*.9 m + 17 in = 0.7153 meters, this means a force of 4971.22194 / 0.7153 = 6949.84194 N.

But!

"(60 mph) / gravity on Earth = 2.73512362 seconds" - Google. F1 has a 0-60 of 3.2, giving 0.854726131 g. That by the mass of 1140 gives a force of 974.38779 kgf, or 9555.48002 N

So, the theoretical force is 6949.84194, and the real is at least 9555.48002. Probably more, because the car can't be at peak torque the whole time. That is impossible.

What did I do wrong? My guess is that it has to do with the final drive thing. Or maybe I left something out, like bore and stroke. I don't know what I need to do with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, you're baically correct in your calculations, peak torque in the engine multiplied by the transmission and axle ratios should give you the maximum torque at the wheels. This would be the torque at a fleeting moment in time if the car was driving such that the engine is putting out maximum torque but the engine is not accelerating.

EDIT: I just realized because the final drive ratio is the TALLEST gear multiplied by the axle ratio... maximum torque would have to be first gear multiplied by the axle ratio. It looks like the car's axle ratio is 2.55 if you take the final drive divided by 6th gear, so you maximum torque ratio would be 3.23*2.55=8.23; giving you a maximum torque of 5350 N-m... taking 5350 N-m divided by the rear tire radius (not diameter) gives you about 14,960 N.

The basic problem is that looking at the peak torque and horsepower for the engine can't give you the whole picture of the accelerating car. For starters, the acceleration curve of a car going from zero to sixty is not a flat line, but your calculation of the car's acceleration assumes it is.

The same problem is run into from a conservation of energy standpoint. The McLaren can do 0-60 mph in 3.2s so that means if we divide its kinetic energy at 60 mph by the total time taken to get there we should get the average power output from the engine for that run. Problem is, this gives you an average of 171.8 hp, far short of the McLaren's peak horsepower output...

Basically, there are far too many dynamic issues in an accelerating car to solve for using simple equations.

Last edited:
"radius (not diameter)"

Aaaah.

I remember an incredible e-mail that a racing friend sent me a while back. It was the numbers for power, torque, acceleration, fuel consumption, etc. for top-fuel dragsters. Unbelievable. So if you want to know the max that you can get, look into the numbers for top-fuel dragsters.

I tried a little googling to see if I could find the info, but didn't exactly find it in my brief search. Did find this interesting article about torque and horsepower for cars and dragsters at Yahoo answers, though:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070701151309AATLWgi

And this dragstrip ET extimation calculator:

http://www.performancesimulations.com/

Tiiba said:
"(60 mph) / gravity on Earth = 2.73512362 seconds"

Google. F1 has a 0-60 of 3.2, giving 0.854726131 g.

60 mph is attained in X direction, 'g' acts in negative Y direction.
Taking m~1200kg and force~7000, acceleration is (7000/1200)
Now apply (Final velocity/Acceleration in the direction of motion) = Time.

And the downward acc is far more greater than 1g for a formula car

1. What is "Max Force from a Car"?

"Max Force from a Car" refers to the maximum force that a car can generate while in motion. It is a measure of the car's acceleration and its ability to overcome external forces such as friction and air resistance.

2. How is the max force from a car calculated?

The max force from a car is calculated by multiplying the car's mass by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion: Force = Mass x Acceleration.

3. What factors affect the max force from a car?

The max force from a car is affected by its mass, acceleration, and any external forces acting upon it, such as friction and air resistance. Other factors may include the car's engine power and the conditions of the road surface.

4. Why is max force from a car important?

The max force from a car is important because it determines the car's ability to accelerate and its overall performance. It is also a crucial factor in ensuring the safety of the car's occupants and others on the road.

5. How can the max force from a car be increased?

The max force from a car can be increased by reducing the car's mass, increasing its engine power, and improving its aerodynamics. It can also be influenced by external factors such as road conditions and weather. Proper maintenance and tuning of the car can also help optimize its max force.