Register to reply

How to study 12+ hours per day without hurting your...

by mathboy
Tags: hours, hurting, study
Share this thread:
PowerIso
Jan14-08, 09:51 PM
P: 329
Quote Quote by mathboy View Post
I am doing research, for my current level. I'm only in first year university where only Calculus 1, Linear algebra 1, Analysis 1, Physics 1 are offered to me. Right now I'm studying the Linear Algebra 2, Calculus 2, and Topology, which is pretty much research to me because no one in my classes knows those stuff.
My first presentation was on some neat results and extensions on the first derivative test, and second derivative test. It just takes some creativity with what you know and see how much of it you can apply to other things.
mathboy
Jan14-08, 11:01 PM
P: 182
Quote Quote by mgiddy911 View Post
I'm curious as to what the OP's life goals are.
I'm still too young to know for sure what I want to do for the rest of my life (though becoming a mathematician seems to be the most enlightening to me right now). All I know is that I have a intense passion for learning new maths (only math, because I simply don't have any interest in anything else, though I seem to like relativity just a little bit). So I'm studying it to quench my intense urge to learn more math. Right now, I'm not thinking about grad school. I don't even think much about grades actually; I'd rather get average grades and learn a lot of math than to get high grades but not learn much math. If for some reason I couldn't finish university and became a grocery clerk, I would still study a lot of math after work. I simply want to learn more new stuff. That's all.
dotman
Jan15-08, 07:09 AM
P: 142
Quote Quote by leon1127 View Post
Back to the point, in this forum most of us have gone through what you are about to experience. If you ask for our opinion and experience and yet not humbly listen to it, we cant help you any further.
QFT

Leon's whole post is worth reading twice.
john16O
Jan15-08, 10:21 AM
P: 55
I do not know the age of the gentlemen who is studying for 12 hours a day. But I would like to commend him for that. I am assuming that he is still in college, and right now at this point in his life, friends will get him nowhere(don't mean to sound harsh) and being successful in his academic endeavors will get him places, a good paying job maybe. Since I am assuming that he is still in college I am also assuming that he is around the age of 20 years old. HE STILL HAS HIS WHOLE LIFE TO MEET PEOPLE. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD IF HE IS NOT MR.POPULAR IN COLLEGE AND DOES NOT GET LAID EVERY NIGHT. But he does have only ONE shot at college so he is taking advantage of that and doing the best he can to become successful, and for that I admire him, for studying 12 hours a day is something that I cannot do. So keep up the good work, receive good marks, for you still have plenty of time to meet women, make friends, etc...

As for you hurting your bum, well I can offer no other advice that has not already been offered in this thread. GOOD LUCK TO YOU...
TMFKAN64
Jan15-08, 12:17 PM
P: 1,084
Ad loc, ad hoc, and quid pro quo, so much to do, so much to know...
leon1127
Jan15-08, 02:07 PM
P: 487
Quote Quote by john16O View Post
I.... I am also assuming that he is around the age of 20 years old. HE STILL HAS HIS WHOLE LIFE TO MEET PEOPLE. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD IF HE IS NOT MR.POPULAR IN COLLEGE AND DOES NOT GET LAID EVERY NIGHT. But he ........
School is a very good environment to learn social skill because you can, in principle, can 4-5 new groups of people every semester. This is seldom the case when you go to work unless you change your job every few months. We are not suggesting that he should not study at all and get paid every night. However if he is going to relinquish his entire normal life to study maths, we suggest that he would lose much more.

Moreover, getting a good job demands much more than good marks. More specifically, many geniuses work at a very low level job because no one wants to work with them. Many morons held high position just because they can impress their boss. I do agree that learning is important, but we also suggest to learn in multiple directions.
john16O
Jan15-08, 02:26 PM
Do you think the social skills necessary to acquire a job can only be learned in the college environment? Although college may be a good place to meet new people, maybe he feels if he puts some emphasis on the social aspect of college he may lose sight of the reason he is there in the first place.
TMFKAN64
Jan15-08, 02:40 PM
P: 1,084
No one suddenly wakes up with the ability to socialize with people. It is a skill that is learned over the course of many years, mainly when one is young.

If you don't develop *some* social skills by the time you are in college, yes, I think you are going to have real problems in the workplace.

I'm not saying the OP should go hang out in bars and get drunk a lot, but joining a few professional organizations, clubs, or study groups would be a much better idea than just studying alone in his room for 12 hours a day.
john16O
Jan15-08, 02:59 PM
I totally disagree with you. Allow me to give an example. My father works for Northrup Grumman a defense contractor. Well, he had to interview a student from MIT. My father said that his attire was poor, he was not wearing a suit. The only thing he brought with him to the interview was a laptop. After a few minutes of conversation my father said the guy was not very personable and did not have very good social skills. But once the guy opened his laptop and showed my father what he had accomplished, which he did not tell me of course, he had no choice but to hire him. I mean was he going to let this guy go and have one of their competitors such as Lockheed martin hire him. Hell no, he wasn't. What he lacked in social skills he made up for in his resume. It is all about what you can do for the company, people will have to learn to work with you if you are THAT good at what you do, so lets not put a great emphasis on social skills. Now, if you work at a Mcdonalds than yes you do need good social skills..lol
cristo
Jan15-08, 03:07 PM
Mentor
P: 8,325
I totally disagree with you. Allow me to give an example. My father works for Northrup Grumman a defense contractor. Well, he had to interview a student from MIT. My father said that his attire was poor, he was not wearing a suit. The only thing he brought with him to the interview was a laptop. After a few minutes of conversation my father said the guy was not very personable and did not have very good social skills. But once the guy opened his laptop and showed my father what he had accomplished, which he did not tell me of course, he had no choice but to hire him. I mean was he going to let this guy go and have one of their competitors such as Lockheed martin hire him. Hell no, he wasn't. What he lacked in social skills he made up for in his resume. It is all about what you can do for the company, people will have to learn to work with you if you are THAT good at what you do, so lets not put a great emphasis on social skills. Now, if you work at a Mcdonalds than yes you do need good social skills..lol
But that's one example; does an example prove a rule? The majority of jobs require social skills, whether it be interacting with customers or work colleagues. If you don't have them, then the job will go to those that do!
dotman
Jan15-08, 03:47 PM
P: 142
... people will have to learn to work with you if you are THAT good at what you do, so lets not put a great emphasis on social skills. Now, if you work at a Mcdonalds than yes you do need good social skills..lol
No, they won't "have to learn to work with you". People in those situations either move on or stop caring. Either way, its not the kind of dynamic you want on your team. But more important is the fact that there are a whole lot of really bright people out there. Bright people with great social skills. Quite simply, if you don't develop these, you're crippling yourself in the future.

I can't stress this enough. You will have to compete against people with high marks -and- great social skills.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with working at McDonald's. That kind of elitist comment just underscores how naive the entire previous posting is.
fizziks
Jan15-08, 04:00 PM
P: 241
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
But that's one example; does an example prove a rule? The majority of jobs require social skills, whether it be interacting with customers or work colleagues. If you don't have them, then the job will go to those that do!
I seriously agree. Unless you can name a job where you have little to no contact with people that pays a mediocre salary, please let me know. Remember working as a group is by far more progressive and better than working alone.

If that proves something, let me give you an example with my mom's friend's son. He graduated from Caltech with a B.S. in EE or AE (don't recall) with a 4.0; top of his class and finished on time. He achieved his perfect GPA via constantly locked up in his room studying for long periods of time. He never came back home for Winter Break or Spring break or during any summers when he was not taking classes. Instead he stayed in his apartment reading books, articles, and surfing the internet about his studies.

The day he graduated, he arrived home and my family and I went over to his house for a X-mas party. The kid did not know how to talk or deal with people. Hell, he even had a hard time communicating with his own parents. He would always look down on his feet when speaking to someone and had a very hard time answering the guests' or my questions about college. Since I was about to attend college myself at that time, I was curious about it. His level of shyness was past the limit of infinite.

Now, I'm not very social myself. I have a small group of friends that share my interest (mainly World of Warcraft and comics). But hell, at least I know how to talk to people in a personable manner beyond basic human to human communication. A WoW player is one of the lowest level of life a human being can go , don't try to surpass it.

That was 4 years ago.

Recently (last month during my graduation), I've a conversation with his brother. His brother was completely different. A complete opposite. He had a worse GPA (3.1ish) and took him 5 years to complete college. But he was more extroverted and outgoing. I talked to him about his experiences in college and how his brother was doing. About four years from the day I met his brother, he is still home with his parents..... unemployed. I wasn't surprised. Some of the companies he applied for were NASA, Lockheed, Intel, AMD, Microsoft, and a bunch of other techie companies. He landed interviews for AMD, NASA, and Microsoft (don't remember); however he didn't get any job, but I am pretty sure why. I believe he's still looking for work at the moment.

College is a one-time experience. Don't blow it by imprisoning yourself in your room. I've meet some of the greatest friends and people in college. In the long run, they are the best investments one can give yourself.
vincebs
Jan15-08, 04:17 PM
P: 148
I agree 100% with what fizziks is saying. You can't forego a social life in college and hope to learn social skills afterwards.

Social skills are learned in stages through experience. If you miss a stage, then people aren't going to hold your hand and teach you what you missed. Your date may forgive your bad kissing and date etiquette when you're both 13, but not when you're both 25. You will look like an outcast. You will have to learn the social skills you missed by studying people and asking people, which will make you socially anxious and shy.

Skipping social life in college to study and expecting to learn social skills when you're 30 is like skipping calculus in high school and hoping to pick it up by taking a college class in E&M.
mr_coffee
Jan16-08, 01:15 AM
P: 1,629
vince,

Nicely said!

Gota mix it up!

I've saw some shows about people who just stay locked up in their rooms and they don't even know how to eat properly. Its like they went backwards or something.
These people where also very dedicated to their studies and very smart. But had no idea how to deal with anything social. I think it was on TLC.
proton
Jan16-08, 02:23 AM
P: 356
Quote Quote by fizziks View Post
The day he graduated, he arrived home and my family and I went over to his house for a X-mas party. The kid did not know how to talk or deal with people. Hell, he even had a hard time communicating with his own parents. He would always look down on his feet when speaking to someone and had a very hard time answering the guests' or my questions about college. Since I was about to attend college myself at that time, I was curious about it. His level of shyness was past the limit of infinite.
lol, i'm a nerdy loner, but i'm not anywhere NEAR that awkward! i've never heard of anything like that before
pgb
Jan16-08, 06:15 AM
P: 4
ok, I study for much greater than 12 hrs a day, and sit on a wooden chair. So, all u have to do is to get fat like me so, that will be a cushion for u (not joking)
And I appreciate ur love for maths. Forget about what the others are saying.
Intellegence is the greatest gift on earth.
Good wishes!
mathboy
Jan16-08, 06:30 AM
P: 182
Quote Quote by pgb View Post
ok, I study for much greater than 12 hrs a day, and sit on a wooden chair. So, all u have to do is to get fat like me so, that will be a cushion for u (not joking)
And I appreciate ur love for maths. Forget about what the others are saying.
Intellegence is the greatest gift on earth.
Good wishes!
Are you just saying that to make me feel better, or are you really serious? (If so, how many hours do you study per day?)
fizziks
Jan16-08, 10:12 AM
P: 241
Quote Quote by mathboy View Post
Are you just saying that to make me feel better, or are you really serious? (If so, how many hours do you study per day?)
I don't think someone telling you to get fat is being serious. You'll die of a heart attack before you get your bachelor's degree.

A rocking wooden chair with soft pillow cushions is better than your own fat buttocks.

Register to reply