Internal Energy Problem

by boburd21
Tags: energy, internal, solved
Share this thread:
boburd21
Jan7-08, 06:14 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given .15meters cubed of Helium gas at 300K and 3Pa in a chamber with a frictionless piston. How much heat is required to double the internal energy of the gas at constant pressure?
2. Relevant equations

I really dont know what equations to use, this problem is giving me a lot of trouble any help is greatly appreciated
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
G01
Jan7-08, 06:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
You need to show some work to get help here. Those are the rules. You do not need to have calculations, but you must show that you have put some thought into the problem. I will give you some questions to consider to get you started:

1) The internal energy of a gas means the cummulative total of the kinetic energy of the gas molecules. Do you know a formula for the average kinetic energy of a molecule of a gas?

2) Once you know the kinetic energy of one of the Helium molecules, how can you use this to find the total average internal energy of the gas? HINT: The volume given will come into play here.
boburd21
Jan7-08, 06:38 PM
Sorry, im new to the forum but this take home test has driven me to look for help.
So far I found the moles of Helium originally in the Chamber using PV=nRT. I know i can use the Urms equation to find the average kinetic energy of a molecule and therfore the original amount of internal energy. My problem comes when Finding out how much of the heat added is turned into work compared to a temperature (internal energy) increase so that i can eventually use (delta)U= Q - W

boburd21
Jan7-08, 06:57 PM
Internal Energy Problem

Istead of the Urms equation im using Ke=3/2Rt to find average Ke per mole
boburd21
Jan7-08, 07:10 PM
I guess all that Im asking is if there is an equation that shows how when Heat is added to an isobaric system how much of the heat goes into work and how much goes into temperature change. If anyone knows if there is such an equation or other ones i could use to figure it out that would be great.
boburd21
Jan7-08, 07:55 PM
solved it on my own thanks for the start GO1
G01
Jan7-08, 07:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
Quote Quote by boburd21 View Post
Istead of the Urms equation im using Ke=3/2Rt to find average Ke per mole
This is what I would use as well.

Quote Quote by boburd21 View Post
I guess all that Im asking is if there is an equation that shows how when Heat is added to an isobaric system how much of the heat goes into work and how much goes into temperature change. If anyone knows if there is such an equation or other ones i could use to figure it out that would be great.

Try starting off like this. Double the internal energy and find what the temperature of the gas would be. Then, knowing that the pressure must remain the same, you should be able to find the new volume of the gas.

Now, knowing the volume of the gas, can you find the work done by the gas?

If you know change in internal energy and the work done, can you find the heat that would need to be added.
boburd21
Jan7-08, 09:37 PM
thats how i ended up solving it, thanks

Register to reply