Force and Friction on an Inclined Plane

In summary: Solve for F.In summary, a 25 kg block of ice slides down an incline 2.5 m long and 1.5 m high. A man pushes up the ice parallel to the incline so it slides down at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the ice and incline is 0.10. From this, we can find the forces acting on the block of ice and determine the force exerted by the man to maintain a constant speed.
wikidrox
This question is driving me insane please help.

A 25 kg block of ice slides down an incline 2.5 m long and 1.5 m high. A man pushes up the ice parallel to the incline so it slides down at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the ice and incline is 0.10. Find the force exerted by the man.

Physics news on Phys.org
wikidrox said:
A 25 kg block of ice slides down an incline 2.5 m long and 1.5 m high. A man pushes up the ice parallel to the incline so it slides down at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the ice and incline is 0.10. Find the force exerted by the man.
Sliding at constant speed implies equilibrium: the forces in any direction add to zero.

Start by identifying all the forces on the block of ice. I count four.

ok I have the same problem.

The four forces I have found are:

Fg = 147.1N (directly down)
FN = 195.9N (perpendicular to the slope)
Ff = 19.6N (up parallel the slope)
F = 147.1N (down parallel the slope)

just want to make sure here..

now I add the 4 vectors together and find out what Force I need to add (up parallel to the slope) in order to make the net force = 0

?

thanks

bullroar_86 said:

now I add the 4 vectors together and find out what Force I need to add (up parallel to the slope) in order to make the net force = 0

First, you have to draw your "free body diagram". (Did you do that bullroar?)
There are trig functions that should be applied here because the block is at an incline of [tex]\theta[/tex].
Once you draw it, you should have something like::

[tex] \Sigma F_{x} = F_{g}\sin\theta + F_{push} + f_{k} = ma[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_{y} = n - F_{g}\cos\theta = 0[/tex]

bullroar_86 said:
ok I have the same problem.

Not sure where you are getting these numbers. The four forces are:
(1) weight = mg, acting down. This will have components perpendicular and parallel to the incline. If you call the angle that the incline makes with the horizontal [itex]\theta[/itex], then [itex]W_{parallel} = mg \sin \theta[/itex] down the incline and [itex]W_{perpendicular} = mg \cos \theta[/itex] into the incline.

(2) normal force, N, which is the reaction to the forces pulling the block against the incline. [itex]N = mg \cos \theta[/itex], acting out of the plane. (This comes from setting the net force perpendicular to the plane equal to zero.)

(3) friction force = [itex]\mu N = \mu mg \cos \theta[/itex] acting up the plane.

(4) the applied force F that acts up the incline.​

To find the applied force, do as PhysicsinCalifornia advised: set the net force parallel to the plane equal to zero: [itex]mg \sin \theta - \mu mg \cos \theta - F = 0[/itex].

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, allowing objects to move up or down with less force than if they were on a flat surface.

2. How does force affect an object on an inclined plane?

The force of gravity acting on an object on an inclined plane is split into two components: the force acting parallel to the plane (known as the weight component) and the force acting perpendicular to the plane (known as the normal force). The weight component is responsible for the object's movement down the plane, while the normal force prevents the object from sinking into the plane.

3. What is friction and how does it affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. On an inclined plane, friction acts in the direction opposite to the object's motion, reducing its speed and causing it to eventually come to a stop.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force and friction?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the weight component and the smaller the normal force. This means that the object will move down the plane with greater speed, but will also experience more friction. On the other hand, a smaller angle will result in a smaller weight component and a larger normal force, leading to slower movement but less friction.

5. Are there any real-world applications of force and friction on an inclined plane?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept, such as using ramps to move heavy objects, using sleds or skis to glide down a snowy hill, and even using wheelchair ramps for accessibility. Understanding the relationship between force and friction on an inclined plane is crucial in designing and implementing these systems.