Calculating Speed of Sound with a Resonating Tube

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed of sound using a closed-end tube filled with air. The equation v = f * lambda is used, where f is the frequency and lambda is the wavelength. The length of the tube is converted to meters and multiplied by four to get the wavelength, and then plugged into the equation along with the given frequency to get the speed of sound.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

A 15.7cm long, closed-end tube, filled with air, resonates when exposed to sound waves with a frequency of 550hz. Calculate the speed of sound.

Homework Equations

V=331.4 + 0.6*Temp.C
V=wavelength*frequency
V=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking I need to use V=331.4 + 0.6*Temp.C to find the velocity, though temperature is not given I think my teacher told me you can assume it is 20 degrees C if temperature is not given. Is that right? However, that doesn't explain why they gave you the length, so maybe that's not the equation I should even use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well do you know the equation for the wavelength in a closed-end tube?

The first harmonic is given by [itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}=L[/itex]

mmm I don't think so, I wasn't aware there there was a separate wavelength equation for closed-end tube things. I thought you could use v=wavelength*frequency or velocity= wavelength/T for all of them.

No, this is not the equation you should be using. You should be using [tex]v = f \lambda[/tex]. You can solve for the wavelength by converting the length into metres, and then multiplyin it by four. Then plug in wavelength and frequency into the equation and you will get the speed.

KatieLynn said:
mmm I don't think so, I wasn't aware there there was a separate wavelength equation for closed-end tube things. I thought you could use v=wavelength*frequency or velocity= wavelength/T for all of them.

You need to use the one I posted. But research Standing waves in pipes and they will show you how to get the equations.

Ohh! I kind of remember him saying something about that now, isn't it like you multiply it by 4 because its 1/4 the of the length of the wave or something? So, anyway, here's what I did...

15.7cm=0.157m
0.157m*4=.628=wavelength

v=(550hz)(.628)
v=345.4m/s

Correct?

Yep 1/4 of the wavelength.

Yes that is correct.

thank you :)

What is the speed of sound and how is it measured?

The speed of sound is the distance that sound travels in a certain amount of time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s). The exact speed of sound depends on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

Why does the speed of sound vary with temperature and altitude?

The speed of sound is affected by temperature because sound travels faster in warmer air due to the molecules being more energetic and closer together. Altitude also affects the speed of sound because the air is less dense at higher altitudes, resulting in sound traveling slower.

How does the speed of sound compare in different mediums?

The speed of sound is fastest in solids, followed by liquids, and then gases. In general, sound travels more quickly through denser mediums because the molecules are more tightly packed together, allowing sound waves to propagate faster.

What is the relationship between the speed of sound and the wavelength and frequency of a sound wave?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the wavelength and frequency of a sound wave. This means that as the wavelength and frequency increase, the speed of sound also increases.

How does the speed of sound impact everyday life and scientific research?

The speed of sound has practical applications in industries such as aviation, where it is important to know the speed of sound to calculate aircraft speeds and performance. In scientific research, the speed of sound is used to study the properties of different materials and to measure distances in seismic surveys.