Conseption for Winged Luner Craft

by PlasmaBoy
Tags: conseption, craft, luner, winged
PlasmaBoy
Apr15-04, 11:18 PM
P: 3
I was reading up on lunar transportation modules and thought of using a fairly conventional helicopter design. I don't think there is much air on the moon so the helicopter could not work in the usual way (creating a differential air pressure between the top and bottom surface of the rotors) but i thought that if you directed the exhause downwards it would stir up the moon dust which would work just like an atmosphere anyway and hence the craft could fly on the moon. I thought this would be especially efficient since there would be less friction than in air and since the gravity on the moon is only 1/10 of that on earth. Any thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Integral
Apr15-04, 11:39 PM
Mentor
P: 7,290
Quote Quote by PlasmaBoy
I was reading up on lunar transportation modules and thought of using a fairly conventional helicopter design. I don't think there is much air on the moon so the helicopter could not work in the usual way
There is no atmosphere on the moon.

(creating a differential air pressure between the top and bottom surface of the rotors) but i thought that if you directed the exhause downwards it would stir up the moon dust which would work just like an atmosphere anyway and hence the craft could fly on the moon.
But there is NO atmosphere on the moom so there is nothing to stir up the Lunar dust. Unless of course you are speaking about the chemical thrust developed by a standard rocket engine. Why have rotors, then do nothing.
I thought this would be especially efficient since there would be less friction than in air and since the gravity on the moon is only 1/10 of that on earth. Any thoughts?
Lunar gravity is about 1/6 earth gravity.
enigma
Apr15-04, 11:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Plus the Lunar dust is really statically charged. It gets everywhere. If you threw up enough of it to get in the way, after a few minutes you'd have a nice layer of grit all over the ship's moving parts.

PlasmaBoy
Apr16-04, 12:53 AM
P: 3

Conseption for Winged Luner Craft

oh yes 1/6th gravity of course how silly of me and yes I did some research and there is no atmosphere, thankyou.
This idea of charged particles intrigues me. What about a jet engine exhausting onto the lunar regolith, kicking up charged particles of dust, and a second engine consisting of a electric coil setting up a magnetic field to propel the charged particles through the motor and downwards thus causing upthrust.
enigma
Apr16-04, 03:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
You'll be better off just using a rocket motor (jet engines need external oxygen).

Thrust levels from electric propulsion systems are really low: Less than the weight of a piece of paper. They only are workable solutions for long transits when a slow but continuous force can get you where you're going.

Register to reply