Proving the Converse of the Intersecting Chords Theorem: Inside the Circle Case

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the converse of the intersecting chords theorem, which states that if two chords intersect at a point inside a circle, then the opposite angles at the point of intersection are equal. The proof involves translating the triangles formed by the chords to a triangle with sides joining the point of intersection, and showing that the angles and corresponding sides are equal, leading to the conclusion that the chords lie on a circle. This proof is applicable for all cases of the converse.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
Hi, do anyone know a proof of this converse:

"If, A,B,C,D,E and F are points in the plane and [tex]\frac{AB}{BC}=\frac{DE}{EF}[/tex], then triangles ABC and DEF are similar."

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of similar?

Oh, with similar I mean that the triangles are equiangular.

With [tex]\angle ABC = \angle DEF[/tex] and [tex]\angle ABC = \angle DEF[/tex]

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Oh, with similar I mean that the triangles are equiangular.

With [tex]\angle ABC = \angle DEF[/tex] and [tex]\angle ABC = \angle DEF[/tex]
Do you mean /_ABC = /_ DEF and /_BCA = /_EFD ? (You repeated yourself.)

Last edited:
Yes, I meant the last thing you said. (Getting late.)

Jarle said:
Hi, do anyone know a proof of this converse:

"If, A,B,C,D,E and F are points in the plane and [tex]\frac{AB}{BC}=\frac{DE}{EF}[/tex], then triangles ABC and DEF are similar."
No one knows a proof, because such a proof doesn’t exist.

PS
But in the case AB:BC:CA = DE:EF:FD, proof is trivial

Forgot to mention that they share the angle between the sides AB and BC, and DE and EF.

Oh, and the expression should not look like that either...

It's [tex]\frac{AB}{DE}=\frac{EF}{BC}[/tex]

EDIT: Anyway, I have proven it now...

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Forgot to mention that they share an angle.
Still not enough for similarity... :rofl:

If you forget as well to mention that equal angles are /_ABC and /_ DEF, proof is trivial.
If other angles, proof doesn't exist.

There has been to many faults here. I will sum it up and see what I find out!

Jarle said:
Forgot to mention that they share the angle between the sides AB and BC, and DE and EF.
Oh, and the expression should not look like that either...

It's [tex]\frac{AB}{DE}=\frac{EF}{BC}[/tex]

EDIT: Anyway, I have proven it now...
After your editions (bolded) proof is not possible

It must be

[tex]\frac{AB}{DE}=\frac{BC}{EF}[/tex]

OR

[tex]\frac{AB}{BC}=\frac{DE}{EF}[/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, I have summed it up now. I am trying to prove the converse of the intersecting chords theorem, in the case where the point of intersection is inside the circle...

We have that the line segments AB and CD meet at X. So the opposite angles at X are equal. We translate the triangles to the triangle with sides XAD, XCB and with AB and DC joined. Now the angle at X is a, and [itex]\frac{XA}{XC}=\frac{XD}{XB}[/itex]. This is a sufficient condition for the triangles XAC and XDB to be similar, as corresponding sides have the same ratio, and the included angle is equal. Thus is the angle XDB equal to the angle XAC, and by the converse of the angles subtended by the same arc theorem, ACBD are concyclic points, so AB and CD are chords in a circle. Does this look ok to you? The other cases of the converse goes something in the same way.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of similarity between triangles?

Similarity between triangles refers to the relationship between two triangles that have the same shape but may differ in size. This means that corresponding angles are equal and corresponding sides are in proportion.

2. How do you determine if two triangles are similar?

Two triangles are similar if their corresponding angles are equal and their corresponding sides are in proportion. This can be determined by using the AA (Angle-Angle) similarity theorem or the SSS (Side-Side-Side) similarity theorem.

3. What is the difference between congruent and similar triangles?

Congruent triangles have exactly the same shape and size, while similar triangles have the same shape but may differ in size. In congruent triangles, all corresponding angles and sides are equal, while in similar triangles, only the corresponding angles are equal and the corresponding sides are in proportion.

4. How can similarity between triangles be used in real-life situations?

Similarity between triangles is used in various real-life situations, such as in map making, architecture, and engineering. It allows for the representation of larger objects or structures on a smaller scale, making it easier to work with and visualize.

5. What are some properties of similar triangles?

Some properties of similar triangles include: corresponding angles are equal, corresponding sides are in proportion, the ratio of the corresponding sides is constant, and the altitudes and medians of similar triangles are in the same ratio as their corresponding sides.