A naked singularity lies within the Sea of Dirac

In summary, the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion mentioned the Sea of Dirac which is a possible parallel universe. If a Sea of Dirac was found to exist, its ramifications in astrophysics would be unknown.
Theothanatologist
Hello all! I come in peace... sort of. :biggrin:

As i was watching the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, where one of the alien characters had the ability to capture its opponents in a Sea of Dirac, which was claimed to stretch over 800 meters in diameter, but had a thickness of only 3 nanometers, an idea sprung in my head.

What would happen if a Sea of Dirac was actually a naked singularity, or held one, if that was even conceptually possible? If such an object was found to exist, or the possibility of its existence was established by new mathematical insights, what would be the ramifications in astrophysics be?

The official word on the reference to the Dirac Sea in the Anime is as follows:

"The Sea of Dirac is defined on this story as a posible parallel universe. The interesting thing about Mr. Paul Dirac (the creator of this theory) was the existence of a posible universe composed only by energy. If all these was asumed as certain, its possible to understand that this "sea" is in fact the second part of the 10 dimensions which became fractured on the Big Bang (4 in our universe and 6 on the other). According to theoric physics, in order to open a "door" to this universe would be necessary something called "Plank Energy", something virtually imposible, but on black holes. But on this story there are various references to a limitless energy.."

I am greatly interested in your comments, denials, clarifications, explanations, or even the horse laugh.

Physics news on Phys.org
n00b

My apologies on demonstrating newbie behavior by posting in the incorrect forum. :rolleyes:

*bump* The question couldn't have offended anyone's finer sentiments. What gives? :confused: Is there a secret handshake I'm supposed to know or some arcane mathematical formula i forgot to add? :tongue:

Please find on the site www.ontheorigin.com some new insights on the development of the laws of physics

sincerely,

Fons Wils

Hi

As far as I am aware the "sea of Dirac" was a concept that Dirac came up with to explain the existence of antiparticles - which he predicted from relativistic quantum theory.

Dirac noted that the equations (originally formulated for free electrons) permitted negative energy solutions, but if negative energy states were available then surely the electron should "runaway" to these increasingly negative states - radiating off an infinite amount of energy in the process.

To save his theory Dirac proposed that the negative energy states were already filled by an infinite "sea" of electrons. Because this sea is always there, and perfectly uniform, it exerts no net force and we are not aware of it. The Pauli principle doesn't allow any 2 electrons to occupy the same state which explains why the electrons we do observe are confined to positive energy states.

If you supply enough energy to an electron in a negative energy state it will jump into a higher, positive, energy state leaving a "hole" in the electron sea which has all the properties of the electron (like same mass) but opposite charge.

People weren't too happy to accept the idea of a sea of electrons, and this idea has been surpassed by Feynman and others. The modern theory treats the negative solutions as positive energy antiparticles.

This might be what you're looking for, might not, but there are no singularities in the theory (it's not even used anymore) and the sea of Dirac would be a lot bigger than they say it is.

Maybe...just maybe - they made it up?

fons wils said:
Please find on the site www.ontheorigin.com some new insights on the development of the laws of physics
Thank you but i fail to find anything in the link that refers to both Dirac and the naked singularity. One section dismisses the big bang-as-singularity notion, thanks to quantum mechanics. The reference to Dirac is largely incidental.

I already understand the basics. This proposal was offered in order to get a theorist' perspective... :smile:

darkbob5150 said:
...[snip]...This might be what you're looking for, might not, but there are no singularities in the theory (it's not even used anymore) and the sea of Dirac would be a lot bigger than they say it is. Maybe...just maybe - they made it up?
Thanks, Darkbob! :smile:

1. What is a naked singularity?

A naked singularity is a theoretical point in space where the curvature of space-time becomes infinite. It is a singularity that is not hidden behind an event horizon, making it visible to observers outside of the singularity.

2. What is the Sea of Dirac?

The Sea of Dirac is a conceptual sea of negative energy particles that are predicted by quantum field theory. It is a theoretical concept that helps explain certain phenomena in physics, such as the Casimir effect.

3. How is a naked singularity related to the Sea of Dirac?

The concept of a naked singularity within the Sea of Dirac is a hypothetical scenario where the negative energy particles in the Sea of Dirac could cancel out the positive energy of a singularity, preventing it from being hidden behind an event horizon.

4. What implications does this theory have for our understanding of black holes?

If a naked singularity were to exist within a black hole, it would challenge our current understanding of black holes and their event horizons. It could potentially lead to new insights into the behavior of black holes and the nature of space-time.

5. Is there any evidence to support the existence of a naked singularity within the Sea of Dirac?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of a naked singularity within the Sea of Dirac. It remains a theoretical concept and further research and observations are needed to test its validity.