question about proper time

by nwdavis1
Tags: proper, time
nwdavis1
Jan22-08, 07:49 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
If the spacetime interval (delta S)^2 > 0, show that delta t=deltaS/c is the proper time between the two events.

2. Relevant equations
Can anyone please explain to me how I should be approaching this problem. I have been working on it for a while with no success. I was able to do the problem before it easily, which was "use Lorentz' equations to prove that delta S is invariant", but this one is giving me trouble.

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
nwdavis1
Jan22-08, 09:33 PM
P: 3
I guess I worded the problem incorrectly. It should read "for ds^2 >0, show that tau=ds/c is the proper time".
kdv
Jan22-08, 09:51 PM
P: 329
Quote Quote by nwdavis1 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
If the spacetime interval (delta S)^2 > 0, show that delta t=deltaS/c is the proper time between the two events.

2. Relevant equations
Can anyone please explain to me how I should be approaching this problem. I have been working on it for a while with no success. I was able to do the problem before it easily, which was "use Lorentz' equations to prove that delta S is invariant", but this one is giving me trouble.

3. The attempt at a solution
By definition, th eproper time is the time between two events in the frame where the two events occur at the same position. So all you have to say is that when you are in the frame where [itex] \Delta x =0 [/itex] then [itex] \Delta t = \tau [/itex]. Plug that in the spacetime invariant and you get the answer. Note that this definition works only for events for which [itex] (\Delta s)^2 \geq 0 [/itex].

Register to reply