What are the vector directions for the electric fields in each part?

In summary, the four parts of this problem involve a charged particle moving through a uniform electric field, and the task is to draw a vector representing the direction of the electric field for each part. For the first two parts, the electric field points to the right for a positively charged particle and to the left for a negatively charged particle. The same rules apply for the last two parts.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Each of the four parts of this problem depicts a motion diagram for a charged particle moving through a region of uniform electric field. For each part, draw a vector representing the direction of the electric field.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6752/partazy5.jpg [Broken] <-Part A
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9706/partbvp7.jpg [Broken] <-Part B
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/581/partcjp1.jpg [Broken] <-Part C
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/187/partdif8.jpg [Broken] <-Part D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a negative charge has an electric field that that is radially inward and a positive charge has an electric field that is radially outward.

But I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to draw it. I really hope someone here has experience with masteringphysics

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, the electric field points to the right because it is a positively charged particle and the acceleration is going to the right. [force and the electric field point in the same direction for a positively charged particle, and in opposite directions for a negatively charged particle.] For the second one, the electric field points to the left becuase it is a negatively charged particle and the acceleartion is going to the right. I have no idea how to do the next two...i put in a couple of tries using the concepts i developed for part A and B but apparently doesn't work quite the same way.

miss_soup was correct for the first two and as for second two they also follow the same rules

Part C The drawing of the vector representing the direction of the electric field goes to the right

Part D The drawing of the vector representing the direction of the electric field goes to the left

Conclusion : was a waste of tries thinking outside the box LMAO

1. What is an electric field vector?

An electric field vector is a graphical representation of the strength and direction of an electric field. It is represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow indicating the strength of the field and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the field.

2. How is an electric field vector drawn?

An electric field vector can be drawn by using the electric field equation, E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. The direction of the vector is determined by the direction of the electric field at that point.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the electric field vector?

The direction of the electric field vector represents the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in the field. This allows us to determine the direction of the force on a charged particle in an electric field.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field vector?

The distance between charges has a direct impact on the strength of the electric field and therefore the length of the electric field vector. As distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases and the length of the vector decreases as well.

5. Can the electric field vector be used to calculate the electric potential?

Yes, the electric field vector can be used to calculate the electric potential by using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.