How do forces act during a collision between a car and a large truck?

• Thread starter NAkid
  • Start date
In summary: Hi, I have some true and false questions for my homework and I just want to double check my answers. The statements are either always true or can be false.1. A bicycle initially moving at a constant velocity will slow down unless a small net force is applied. FALSE (an object in motion will stay in motion unless force applied)2. If two objects have the same acceleration they are under the influence of equal forces. FALSE (not always true, but I'm not sure)3. If a net force acts on an object, the object's velocity will change. (TRUE; force affects acceleration, which should affect velocity)4. During the collision of a car with a large truck
NAkid
Hi, I have some true and false questions for my homework and I just want to double check my answers. The statements are either always true or can be false.

1. A bicycle initially moving at a constant velocity will slow down unless a small net force is applied. FALSE (an object in motion will stay in motion unless force applied)

2. If two objects have the same acceleration they are under the influence of equal forces. FALSE (not always true, but I'm not sure)

3. If a net force acts on an object, the object's velocity will change. (TRUE; force affects acceleration, which should affect velocity)

4. During the collision of a car with a large truck, the truck exerts equal size force on the car as the car exerts on the truck. (I'm not sure; I think this has something to do with Newton's 3rd law. I know though that forces come in pairs, but of equal size?)

5. The net force which acts on an object which remains at rest is zero. TRUE

6. IF an object's speed does not change, no net force is acting on the object. TRUE (same as number 1)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have the right idea.

I just tried these answers and one or some of these are wrong though..

NAkid said:
6. IF an object's speed does not change, no net force is acting on the object. TRUE (same as number 1)

First one said constant velocity. Speed and velocity are two different things.

Consider an object moving in a circular path. It's speed stays constant but because its direction is changing it is accelerating and hence a force is being applied on it.

You are definitely right about #1

#2) You are right

#3) If this question writer is an a$$hole, he may count a net force of zero

#4) You are right about this one. The forces would be equal

#5) You are right

#6) Ah, speed is used instead of velocity. Velocity is a vector, while speed is a scalar quantity. Direction can change while speed remains constant, and velocity will change

Last edited:
Compare number six and number three. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

[BTW greeniquana00's statements are not all true!]

Last edited:
jambaugh said:
Compare number six and number three. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

[BTW greeniquana00's statements are not all true!]

:D Already made the edit

NAkid said:
Hi, I have some true and false questions for my homework and I just want to double check my answers. The statements are either always true or can be false.

1. A bicycle initially moving at a constant velocity will slow down unless a small net force is applied. FALSE (an object in motion will stay in motion unless force applied)

2. If two objects have the same acceleration they are under the influence of equal forces. FALSE (not always true, but I'm not sure)

3. If a net force acts on an object, the object's velocity will change. (TRUE; force affects acceleration, which should affect velocity)

4. During the collision of a car with a large truck, the truck exerts equal size force on the car as the car exerts on the truck. (I'm not sure; I think this has something to do with Newton's 3rd law. I know though that forces come in pairs, but of equal size?)

5. The net force which acts on an object which remains at rest is zero. TRUE

Thank you!

1. Correct.
2. Corerct, because they can have different masse: F = m*a.
3. Not neccesarily, it could change the direction instead (but he may be meaning that it is the velocity vector, in which case it would be true).
4. True. Newtons third law says the both forces will be equal in size. Action = Reaction.
5. True.
6. True.

NAkid said:
Hi, I have some true and false questions for my homework and I just

It's because of F=ma. Depends on mass of the object, a1 = a2 so... F1/m1 = F2/m2.

The forces can be different, so long as the masses of the objects balance the equation.

NAkid said:
Hi, I have some true and false questions for my homework and I just

All objects, regardless of mass, exert equal and opposite forces.

So yes, it's Newton's 3rd Law.

1. What are "some true and false questions"?

"Some true and false questions" are a type of question used to test knowledge or understanding on a particular topic. They typically consist of a statement or assertion, followed by two options - one being true and the other false. The person answering the question must choose which option is correct.

2. How are "some true and false questions" different from multiple choice questions?

The main difference between "some true and false questions" and multiple choice questions is that the latter typically have more than two options to choose from, while the former only has two. In multiple choice questions, all options could potentially be true or false, while in "some true and false questions" there is only one correct answer.

3. Can "some true and false questions" be subjective?

Yes, "some true and false questions" can be subjective, just like any other type of question. They may be based on personal opinions or interpretations of information, rather than solely on factual knowledge. In these cases, there may be more than one correct answer.

4. How should I approach answering "some true and false questions"?

When answering "some true and false questions", it is important to carefully read and understand the statement being presented. Pay attention to any keywords or phrases that may indicate whether the statement is true or false. Avoid making assumptions and try to eliminate any obviously incorrect options before making your final choice.

5. Why are "some true and false questions" commonly used in scientific research?

"Some true and false questions" are commonly used in scientific research because they provide a quick and efficient way to test knowledge and understanding of a particular topic. They can also help researchers to gather data and make comparisons between different groups or individuals based on their responses to these questions.