Tags: pronounced, subitize
Math Is Hard
Jan27-08, 09:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,921
subitize

I looked it up in an online dictionary and it said it is pronounced like "soobitize". However, we had a guest lecturer in class last week and she pronounced it like "suhbitize".

Does anyone know which is correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
binzing
Jan27-08, 09:37 PM
P: 248
Its probably dependant upon where the speaker is from. For example, people from the US and Brits might say it differently. A better dictionary might even say that it may be used either way. LOL, it doesn't even show up in the Miriam-Webster 11th Edition I have.
Evo
Jan27-08, 09:42 PM
Mentor
P: 25,930
I'd go with suhbitize. All such words, subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, etc... all have the same pronunciation.

Math Is Hard
Jan27-08, 09:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold

How is this pronounced? (subitize)

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling that whichever one I pick, it will be the opposite of what the professor thinks it is. LOL
But I guess I will go with "suhb".
Astronuc
Jan27-08, 10:22 PM
Admin
P: 21,630
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I'd go with suhbitize. All such words, subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, etc... all have the same pronunciation.
On the other hand, in the words: subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, the letter 'b' is followed by a consonant, so by convention sub is pronounce suhb, and is usually a separate syllable (and often a prefix). Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable (su·bi·tize). I think the English and Australians would pronounce syoobitize.

subitize - to perceive at a glance the number of items presented.
Gokul43201
Jan27-08, 10:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Definitely soobitize.
robphy
Jan28-08, 12:10 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
http://www.infoplease.com/ipd/A0676727.html
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subitize?r=14
Jimmy Snyder
Jan28-08, 07:53 AM
P: 2,163
I'm pretty sure my daughter is good at subitizing, as she can add 13 digit numbers in her head and give the right answer immediately. I asked her what's 2 trillion plus 3 trillion and she got it in a flash.
DaveC426913
Jan28-08, 08:27 AM
P: 15,325
Hmph. And I got in trouble yesterday for pronouncing chootney instead of chuhtney.
Moonbear
Jan28-08, 08:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Well, without having a clue what the word meant (thanks to Astronuc for providing the definition) nor having ever seen or heard it pronounced before, upon seeing it in the thread title, I pronounced it soo-bi-tize. Astronuc's explanation makes sense of why it's NOT suhb-i-tize (that would just break every spelling, syllabication and pronunciation rule I've ever learned).
Evo
Jan28-08, 09:04 AM
Mentor
P: 25,930
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
On the other hand, in the words: subterfuge, subsidize, subsistence, the letter 'b' is followed by a consonant, so by convention sub is pronounce suhb, and is usually a separate syllable (and often a prefix). Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable (su·bi·tize). I think the English and Australians would pronounce syoobitize.

subitize - to perceive at a glance the number of items presented.
Yep, I didn't even think of that.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan28-08, 09:24 AM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Often, when the group 'sub' is followed by a vowel, the u is long, soo, and the b is part of the second syllable.
I don't know about that. There's subatomic, subequal, subinvariant, subordinate, suburb.

I think the issue is that the prefix sub-, meaning under or less than, is probably always pronounced the same regardless of the next letter. The thing that makes subitize different is that sub- is not a prefix in that word. It derives from the latin word subitus, meaning sudden.
BobG
Jan28-08, 09:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
It's from subito, which is pronounced soob-ito, so I'd assume it's pronounced soob-itize.

It's a niche word you don't see in everyday use and isn't even included in a lot of dictionaries, so maybe the lecturer just guessed.

Interesting subject. It's how you can teach a dog or horse to count. Remember how Roy Roger's horse, Trigger, could count to three? If Roy Rogers had a parrot instead of a horse, he could have 'counted' all the way up to four! Of course, I guess that would have required quite a few other changes in the show, as well.

I've been working with my dog to see how high she can go numerically. So far, we're up to [tex]\int^{\pi}_0 sin(x) dx[/tex]
jim mcnamara
Jan28-08, 09:44 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,355
suberin - soo-ber-in
subitize - soo-bi-tize

Astronuc has it - no following consonant after the letter "b"
Math Is Hard
Jan28-08, 11:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
It's a niche word you don't see in everyday use and isn't even included in a lot of dictionaries, so maybe the lecturer just guessed.
Ordinarily, I would think that it was just a guess, but this was a cognitive psychology post-doc who pronounced it "suhbitize". It may fall outside of her area of specialization, but I would think that she had heard this word pronounced before.
dst
Jan28-08, 11:20 AM
P: 389
Soob (more so 'syoobitise"), it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler
Ivan Seeking
Jan28-08, 11:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Tsubitize - to perceive at a glance everything not yet done by Ivan.
dst
Jan28-08, 11:21 AM
P: 389
Soob, it feels 'natural' to me.

But then again, I just found out it's Oiler, not Euler

Now where's that book on Oiclid's Elements...

Register to reply