Maximum Amplitude, 50hx vs 60hz generator

by texas2787
Tags: 50hx, 60hz, amplitude, generator, maximum
Share this thread:
texas2787
Jan30-08, 10:10 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have an AC generator with output current I. I, as a function of time, is a sine wave whose frequency, f, is the same as the rotational frequency of the generator. So,

I(t) = I[tex]_{0}[/tex]sin(2πft), where I[tex]_{0}[/tex] is the max. amplitude of the current.

In terms of magnetic flux, [tex]\Phi[/tex][tex]_{B}[/tex]:

I = - (Constant * Change in [tex]\Phi[/tex][tex]_{B}[/tex]) / time

When the generator revolves at 50 revs/second, the maximum amplitude I[tex]_{0}[/tex] = 1000 A. If you increase the spead of the generator to 60 revs/sec, what is the maximum amplitude I[tex]_{0}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

Given above

3. The attempt at a solution

This question really stumped me. It's difficult to bring in additional equations since we don't know more about the generator -- it's obviously a concept question. I suspect that the maximum amplitude will increase proportionally.

We know that f(old) = 50 Hz, since it will be the same as the rotatation frequency. Thus, the period for this sine curve will be 1/50 second, as the amplitude goes from maximum to maximum. When f(new) = 60 Hz, the period will condense to 1/60 second.

Thinking about flux, there is no change in magnetic field (B) -- though the [tex]\Theta[/tex] between B and the area of the coil will be changing faster as rotations speed up. So change in fluz would be greater over a given unit of time (???). Thus, from the second equation, we know that I must also increase (???).

At this point, I simply guess that the change will be proportional -- since rotation is increasing in speed by 20%, so will maximum amplitude ??????????????

Thanks for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief

Register to reply