I remember when

by Evo
Tags: evo, games
Share this thread:
sas3
Feb1-08, 01:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 201
I remember my first C.B. Radio a "23 channel" Pinto Base station from J.C Pennies.
turbo
Feb1-08, 01:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I remember when even pretty small radios had to be plugged in to AC and NONE of them got any band other than AM, and I used to pray for sundown when the mega-stations in Albany and Buffalo would start pumping out Mo-Town, Blues, and English rock.
rewebster
Feb1-08, 07:14 AM
P: 880
Long trips on vacation on non-interstate roads
Andre
Feb1-08, 07:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
I remember doing homework I would sneak into the office of the little family company and use the dinosaur calculator. A big very heavy black metal box with an 10 x 10 array of buttons each marked 0-9.

With some physical extertion, turning the heavy handle, it was actually possible to have that thing make your calculations for homework. Wow.
GeorginaS
Feb1-08, 08:20 AM
P: 380
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I remember when the best way to get a motorcycle sound on my bicycle involved using clothespins and baseball cards to rub on the spokes. IIR, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron rookie cards sounded really good.
Yes! Hockey cards flapping in bicycle spokes. Wonderful noise.
Ronnin
Feb1-08, 08:32 AM
P: 208
I remember when people thought corduroy jackets and pants actually looked good. I remember my bowl haircut and those stupid velour sweaters my mom use to make wear. It's Texas mom, we only need sweaters two weeks out of the year!
turbo
Feb1-08, 08:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I remember when Milky Way and Snickers bars cost 5 cents, and a Hershey Lunch Bar (plain chocolate) cost 3 cents. At the time, sodas cost 10 cents (including the 3 cent deposit on the soda bottle) so if the store owner trusted you, he'd sell you a bottle of soda AND a Lunch Bar for 10 cents with the understanding that you'd consume them on the front porch of the store and bring the bottle back in when you were done.
Dr Transport
Feb1-08, 09:21 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Remember Jiffy Pop?
My son's boy scout troop thinks that Jiffy Pop is the best thing since sliced bread.
jim mcnamara
Feb1-08, 09:55 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Cooking on a wood stove.
Did that up until 2001. We heated with wood and used the stove for long cooktime items like beans.

1 gallon water
2 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic whole
about 6 ounces of salt pork
3 quarts of soaked pinto or anasazi beans

Boil covered from when the sun shows full over the Sandia Mountains til dark. 'bout 8 hours in winter. Check water ever 2-3 hours..... Crudely mash the beans with a potato masher (in some of the liquid.)

Our neighbors add wood ash to the beans at the start.
Ronnin
Feb1-08, 10:15 AM
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post

Our neighbors add wood ash to the beans at the start.
What kind of flavor does that add?
rewebster
Feb1-08, 10:26 AM
P: 880
I remember when they had E tickets at Disneyland

I think I've still got a coupon book or two with a few of the other 'letter' tickets that weren't used in some box -- we lived out there '55 to '61

I found this in a box a while back--I don't remember where it came from
jtbell
Feb1-08, 10:34 AM
Mentor
P: 11,744
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I remember when McDonalds was just a local hamburger stand - just one.
I don't go back quite that far (at least my memory doesn't), but I do remember when all McDonald's had a counter on their sign that proudly announced how many hamburgers the chain had sold so far: "100 million served"... "200 million served"...

Of course, they eventually had to switch to the Carl Sagan version: "Billions and billions served."
FredGarvin
Feb1-08, 11:23 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Does anyone remember making actual carbon copies on an old Gestetner, hand crank copy machine? My Dad had one in his office for the longest time.
Moonbear
Feb1-08, 11:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
MB, I didn't realize that anyone still makes popcorn this way... Hmmmmm, I may try it again, but if I burn myself it will all be your fault.
Perhaps I should remind you to put the lid on the pot too?

Just put a tablespoon or two of oil in a heavy pot, and about 3 kernels of popcorn, put on the lid, place it over medium-high heat. When the first few kernels pop (I always do three in case you have a "dud"), the oil is ready. Quickly add your 1/3 cup of kernels, put the lid on, and wait. When you hear the popping start (shouldn't take long at all), start shaking the pot. When the popping slows down, take it off the heat, wait a moment or two longer for the last little explosions to stop (otherwise they'll all jump out of the pot when you open the lid), add salt or butter to taste (I can eat popcorn popped this way completely plain, but still add a little salt and butter anyway) and enjoy!

And yes, when I was growing up, my mom did it the scalding oil in a cheap (thin) pot and too high of temperatures and burn half the popcorn way too.
Evo
Feb1-08, 11:53 AM
Mentor
P: 26,523
One of the most heavenly smells - hot buttered popcorn, one of the worst smells - burned popcorn.
Evo
Feb1-08, 11:55 AM
Mentor
P: 26,523
Quote Quote by FredGarvin View Post
Does anyone remember making actual carbon copies on an old Gestetner, hand crank copy machine? My Dad had one in his office for the longest time.
I remember having to type with carbon paper if i wanted copies.

The good old days of changing typewriter ribbons, unsnagging the keys
jim mcnamara
Feb1-08, 12:13 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Quote Quote by Ronnin View Post
What kind of flavor does that add?
It's a way of getting potassium into foods that are otherwise low in K. But they don't know that - it's simply traditional.
Ronnin
Feb1-08, 12:14 PM
Speaking of copies, has anyone seen or knows of anyone still using a mimeograph machine. I remember the teachers back in school having to wave the papers before they passed them out. The smell was unmistakable.

Register to reply