by romd
Tags: equation, manipulating
Share this thread:
romd
Feb1-08, 10:32 AM
P: 7
Hi, I need help manipulating the equation

x(t)=e^(-t/tau) sin(omega*t)

into a straight line graph (y=mx+c) of position (x) against time (t)

Thanks in advance!

edit: this might have been better off in the homework/coursework section, sorry
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Mentz114
Feb1-08, 10:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,087
Do you mean x = m.t + c ?
Are you allowed to make co-ordinate transformations ? The equation describes a damped oscillator so there doesn't seem to be any other way.
romd
Feb1-08, 10:58 AM
P: 7
Thanks for the reply!
Probably, I just know I need a straight line out of it.. I think its a little beyond my knowledge, given my college teacher has no idea either. Once I have the equation I'll be set.

HallsofIvy
Feb1-08, 11:16 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Manipulating equation

The question is "make a straight line out of what"? The graph of the function you give, [tex]x(t)=e^{-t/\tau} sin(\omega t)[/tex], in the "tx-plane" is certainly not a straight line and there is no y. The graph of that would be a "wave" getting smaller and smaller as t increases. Sometimes you can make a function into a linear graph by plotting the logarithms of the values rather than the values themselves, but that won't work with that "sin" there.

Perhaps you mean that, given this x value, as a function of t, find the corresponding y value on the line y= mx+ b. That's easy- just substitute that function for x:
[itex]y= me^{-t/\tau} sin(\omega t)+ b[/itex]. The values given by those functions will give the position, at time t, of an object moving along the line y= mx+ b.

Register to reply