Fast Car Collision Impulse Comparison

In summary, the first problem involves a head-on collision between two cars and the magnitude of the impulses is the same due to conservation of momentum. The second problem involves a cannon firing a shell and the shell experiencing a greater impulse due to being in the barrel for a longer time. The last problem discusses the relationship between time and force of impact, with the answer being that either shortening or increasing the time can result in a decrease in force of impact.
naoki300
Homework Statement
A fast-moving massive car has a head-on collision with a slow-moving light car. Which car has a greater impulse?

The attempt at a solution

I think more information is needed to answer the question. But could the answer be that the impulse is the same?

Homework Statement
A cannon with a long barrel fires a shell faster because the shell experiences a greater:
a) acceleration
b)impulse
c)change in inertia
d)none

I say impulse but then i want to say none of the above. is it impulse because of the increase intime?

lastone
Homework Statement
If a fast-moving object strikes you, you'll experience less force of impact if you can:
a)shorten the time the momentum decreases.
b)increase the time the momentum decreases.
c)either shorten or increase the time, for the result is the same.

the wording of the problem just confuses me, because at first i thought it was b but then thought a and went back to b. i just don't get the "the momentum" decreases part of the two answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first problem, I think you are correct in thinking the magnitude of the impulses are the same. One way to explain it is with conservation of momentum, because momentum lost by the first object (its impulse) must be momentum gained by the second object (its impulse).

For your second question, you are told that the shell is fired faster if the barrel is longer. The shell's velocity is greater, so its momentum is greater, so its change in momentum is greater. I think you're right in thinking it is impulse. Why did you second guess yourself?

Perhaps the answer choices would be better phrased as "increase/shorten the time it takes for the object to lose its momentum." In either case, the greater the force, the greater the force of impact on both you and the object (you would be hurt more).

You have the right idea; don't let the wording confuse you. Think about how force is related to momentum and impulse. Think about real world cases: what's the difference between falling onto a bed and falling onto concrete?

naoki300 said:
Homework Statement
A fast-moving massive car has a head-on collision with a slow-moving light car. Which car has a greater impulse?
The force exerted on one car is equal and opp to the force exerted on the other car, and the time is the same. So, by definition, the magnitude of the impulse is the same. You can also think in terms of change of momentum, as mentioned in post #2.

Homework Statement
A cannon with a long barrel fires a shell faster because the shell experiences a greater:
a) acceleration
b)impulse
c)change in inertia
d)none

I say impulse but then i want to say none of the above. is it impulse because of the increase intime?

The impulse is more because it stays in the barrel for longer time under an (almost) constant force, so F*t is more.

lastone
Homework Statement
If a fast-moving object strikes you, you'll experience less force of impact if you can:
a)shorten the time the momentum decreases.
b)increase the time the momentum decreases.
c)either shorten or increase the time, for the result is the same.

The change in momentum which is equal to F_avg*t is same. What would make the force lesser?

thanks for the clearing up these questions for me

1. What is momentum in a fast car?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In a fast car, momentum is the amount of force that the car has while moving at a high speed.

2. How is momentum related to the speed of a fast car?

Momentum is directly proportional to the speed of a fast car. This means that as the speed of the car increases, its momentum also increases. This is because the faster the car is moving, the more force it has.

3. Why is momentum important in a fast car?

Momentum is important in a fast car because it affects the car's ability to accelerate, brake, and change direction. It also plays a role in the amount of force the car exerts in the event of a collision.

4. How is momentum conserved in a fast car?

Momentum is conserved in a fast car according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a fast car, this means that the total momentum of the car and its surroundings will remain the same unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How can momentum be calculated in a fast car?

Momentum in a fast car can be calculated by multiplying the car's mass (in kilograms) by its velocity (in meters per second). The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.