Register to reply

Does any one know how to make a stress strain diagram in MS excel?

by Saladsamurai
Tags: diagram, excel, strain, stress
Share this thread:
Saladsamurai
Feb9-08, 05:22 PM
P: 3,015
Or know of any good tutorials?

This is a PAIN to do by hand.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
TVP45
Feb9-08, 06:18 PM
P: 1,127
Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
Or know of any good tutorials?

This is a PAIN to do by hand.
What exactly are you doing? Do you already have values? Why don't you just use the published ones?
Saladsamurai
Feb9-08, 06:48 PM
Yes. I have the values. I am just having a hard time figuring out how to enter and plot the values? I tried using line chart, but it seems to be graphing a line for both strain and stress instead on just one line for stress VS strain.

What do you mean "published ones"?

TVP45
Feb9-08, 07:00 PM
P: 1,127
Does any one know how to make a stress strain diagram in MS excel?

Most materials have published stress-strain charts.

Anyway, back to Excel. What other choices do you see for plot type?
Saladsamurai
Feb9-08, 07:09 PM
These are all of the line charts, all the others are just pie, bar, scatter plots...

Saladsamurai
Feb9-08, 07:23 PM
I think the scatter plot will do it, I just can't figure out how to change the scaling of the axes.

I got it to look like this:

Now I just need to get the blown up graph for the elastic range. I want to make it show up underneath the main curve with its own scaling just like a standard stress-strain diagram
z-component
Feb9-08, 08:40 PM
P: 483
You can change the max/min values right on the open dialog box in your image. See the minimum and maximum fields? Nice curve, by the way.
Saladsamurai
Feb9-08, 08:45 PM
Right. The only thing is, I want to get a second curve in there. I want to expand (blow up) the linear portion of the graph. . .
FredGarvin
Feb10-08, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
Right. The only thing is, I want to get a second curve in there. I want to expand (blow up) the linear portion of the graph. . .
Put in your second set of data. Highlight it and press control-c. This will put the data in your clipboard. Click once on your graph. Go to the edit menu and select paste special. You should the get a dialog box that will ask you if you want to paste it as a new series of data. Say yes. This will put the data on the same chart. However, you must click on either of the data sets and right click. Select format data series. There should then be a tab labelled Axis. Select it and there will be a selector box that says Primary or Secondary. Select secondary to put it on the other axis. You can then format the range of that axis separately.

Register to reply