Calculating Impact Force and oil well tree

In summary, the ROV will exert an impulse on the tree proportional to its mass and velocity when it contacts it. The contact time will determine the magnitude of the impulse.
Fuller
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I need to calculate the impact force exerted on an rov if it collides with a oil well tree. The information I have are the mass of the rov = 500 kg, initial velocity othe rov is 1.5 m/s and the oil well tree is a fixed body. I am unsure how to calculate the final velocity of the rov ( do I assume this to be 0?) and on how to calculate the duration of the impact.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fuller said:
I was wondering if anybody could help me. I need to calculate the impact force exerted on an rov if it collides with a oil well tree. The information I have are the mass of the rov = 500 kg, initial velocity othe rov is 1.5 m/s and the oil well tree is a fixed body. I am unsure how to calculate the final velocity of the rov ( do I assume this to be 0?) and on how to calculate the duration of the impact.

You are looking for the Impulse of the ROV on the tree, so you'll have to estimate how long the contact time is. Mathematically stated...

[tex] J = \frac{mv}{t} [/tex]

where,

J = the impulse or impact force
m = the mass of the ROV
v = the velocity of the ROV
t = the time of contact between the ROV and the tree

A typical estimate for the time of contact would be [tex] \frac{A}{v} [/tex]

where,

A = the area of contact

Make sure your units are correct.

CS

We often cannot get these theoretical values. A couple of years ago, I had a problem where I was to determine if a pipe fell onto a platform, if the platform would break. Obviously this was not something we could test, and I looked all over to try to get something that would help. My boss gave me a couple of copied pages from a 1940 textbook, that looked handwritten, that gave:

They use impact factors which mulitiply the static force, and the impact factor is based on static deflection, which I can find. Here are the equations (sorry, haven't mastered the laxtype thing yet)
Impact Factors for Loads on Members
Static Load: 1.0
Suddenly Applied: 2.0
Suddenly Applied and Reversed: 3.0
Dropped from a height h: k
where
[tex]
k = 1 + \frac{\sqrt{(d^2 + dv^2)}}{d}
[/tex]
and v = velocity and d=static deflection

Perhaps you could use something like this.

1. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. The formula for calculating impact force is F = m * a, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation assumes that the object is moving at a constant velocity and that the impact is instantaneous.

2. What is an oil well tree?

An oil well tree, also known as a Christmas tree, is a series of valves and fittings that are used to control the flow of oil and gas from a wellhead to the surface. It is an essential component of an oil well and allows for the safe extraction and production of oil and gas.

3. How is the impact force of an oil well tree calculated?

The impact force of an oil well tree can be calculated using the same formula as any other object. The mass of the tree and the acceleration at which it impacts the ground are used to determine the force. However, the impact force of an oil well tree may also be affected by other factors such as the height of the tree and the composition of the ground it is impacting.

4. What are the potential risks of calculating impact force for an oil well tree?

There are several potential risks associated with calculating impact force for an oil well tree. These include inaccuracies in the measurements used to determine mass and acceleration, as well as variations in the composition of the ground that can affect the impact force. Additionally, there is a risk of human error in the calculation process.

5. How can impact force calculations be used in the oil and gas industry?

Impact force calculations are an important tool in the oil and gas industry, as they can help engineers and scientists determine the safety and integrity of oil well trees. By accurately calculating the impact force, potential risks and hazards can be identified and mitigated, ensuring safe and efficient operations in the industry.