PF Photography Thread

by _Mayday_
Tags: photography
Andre
Oct14-09, 01:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Hmmm maybe more a focussing problem Turbo? Check the tree low corner left, appears sharper than the background.
turbo
Oct14-09, 01:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Hmmm maybe more a focussing problem Turbo? Check the tree low corner left, appears sharper than the background.
Could be. Next time I'm up there, I'll compare hand-held with monopod-mounted, in Auto, Custom, and Scene(landscape) modes to see what's up. This camera (at least in iA mode) fires a burst of flash as a focusing aid, and perhaps that foreground tree caught enough of it to sway the autofocus to the foreground.
Andre
Oct14-09, 02:48 PM
PF Gold
I find myself focussing manually more and more. In a burst sequence for a more or less static subject like grandson babies for instance, there is no need for distracting in between focussing. Also working with wide angle to optimize depth of field, as well as macro tripod work when quick reaction is not a factor.
Borek
Oct14-09, 04:48 PM
Admin
P: 22,655
Interesting. We bought in June second hand (but barely used) A590 for bike trips - and this is uncropped zoom:

and same picture, not cropped, just resized:

To some extent similar lack of sharpness.

I forgot to reserach it in more details, could be that happens only on the long end when taking pictures that need DOF. Most pictures were taken in just a landscape mode, and they were reasonably good and sharp:

At least they are much better than no pictures from bike trips at all
turbo
Oct14-09, 05:37 PM
PF Gold
Interesting, Borek. I hope the ZS3 performs better than that at full telephoto, and it's just a matter of user-error. Certainly, normal and macro shots are top-notch with this little pocket-cam.
Kronos5253
Oct15-09, 08:17 AM
P: 111
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Interesting. We bought in June second hand (but barely used) A590 for bike trips - and this is uncropped zoom:

That looks really awesome zoomed and cropped like that. Makes it look kind of like an old oil painting.. It's a pretty cool effect
Kronos5253
Oct15-09, 08:45 AM
Here are the few more that I said I took with my Nokia 6650 phone :)

I have another version of this taken with my Nikon coolpix.. I'll post that up when I get home, the quality is 10x better

I took two of these.. One with the auto setting on the phone, one on the "sunny" setting

This is auto

This is the "sunny" setting

If you can't tell I like taking pictures of the sky haha
turbo
Oct15-09, 09:46 AM
PF Gold
Kronos, that phone has a pretty decent camera function, and at least you'll always have it with you so you can snap off a shot anytime.
Kronos5253
Oct15-09, 10:19 AM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Kronos, that phone has a pretty decent camera function, and at least you'll always have it with you so you can snap off a shot anytime.
Ya that's what I love about it :D The quality is alright.. It's grainy though. If I would have posted the full size pics you would see the colored grains in it. It's actually only a 2MP camera haha I just like to think that I'm pretty good with a camera
Andre
Oct16-09, 08:06 AM
PF Gold
Nice work Kronos, composition ideas are great but you notice the hardware limitations indeed.

Next shots in one session ware made with a EOS 450D with a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle zoom, mostly at 12mm wide in the hunt for the photo contest perspective, all but one are on 18% of the real size, with some crops on the original 100% size, so you can judge if you can settle for a camera phone or if you need heavier hardware.

crop on 100% of the standard jpg output.

Same crop from a RAW image after some processing, sharpening, reducing noise reduction, and some more image tuning

and the uncropped frame again on 18% after RAW processing, obviously the changes will be more clear on a poster of 24 inch.

Some more unprocessed JGP's:

(this one was cropped to remove some nasty signs)

Kronos5253
Oct16-09, 11:37 AM
Nice work Kronos, composition ideas are great but you notice the hardware limitations indeed.

Next shots in one session ware made with a EOS 450D with a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle zoom, mostly at 12mm wide in the hunt for the photo contest perspective, all but one are on 18% of the real size, with some crops on the original 100% size, so you can judge if you can settle for a camera phone or if you need heavier hardware.

crop on 100% of the standard jpg output.

Same crop from a RAW image after some processing, sharpening, reducing noise reduction, and some more image tuning

and the uncropped frame again on 18% after RAW processing, obviously the changes will be more clear on a poster of 24 inch.

Some more unprocessed JGP's:

(this one was cropped to remove some nasty signs)

Oh I'd love to have a better piece of equipment rather then use a phone.. But I be poor haha My wife is big into photography and she wants a nikon D90, but we don't exactly have the spare cash for that haha The Nikon Coolpix actually takes really decent pictures though, but I'd much rather have, say, my dad's 35mm manual focus. It's like, 20-30 years old, but it takes BEAUTIFUL pictures. Someday I'll inherit it.. Some day. But for now I guess I'll just have to stick to my phone or the Coolpix.

Those are great pictures though... I think I would have used the under the tree picture (5th one down) for the perspective shot. I like the angles and the way the line for the water passes through the picture.
Andre
Oct16-09, 01:01 PM
PF Gold
Right the fifth one down was on the short list as were all these. However maybe a bit too artifical looking. Suspicious persons could think of photoshopping. I almost went for #1 but that was maybe too dull. So I thought that the one I selected had the most extreme perspective.

Anyway, nice to have a hardware dream. I do too, it's called Canon EOS 7D, but there is also something like rational acceptance factors. The Nikon D90 is a fine piece. Just keep an eye on the sales market. It's prices will come down as new hardware floods the market.
Kronos5253
Oct16-09, 01:46 PM
Right the fifth one down was on the short list as were all these. However maybe a bit too artifical looking. Suspicious persons could think of photoshopping. I almost went for #1 but that was maybe too dull. So I thought that the one I selected had the most extreme perspective.
True true, and I agree, the last one has the most extreme perspective. Makes the building look way bigger than it is, and the cannon adds a nice touch to the line of sight :D

Anyway, nice to have a hardware dream. I do too, it's called Canon EOS 7D, but there is also something like rational acceptance factors. The Nikon D90 is a fine piece. Just keep an eye on the sales market. It's prices will come down as new hardware floods the market.
Of course, good advice, and dually noted :) The one you posted is the one I'm looking to get, but my wife adores the D90 lol She likes the way it fits in her hand. Prices are a bit much, but it'll happen soon enough.
GeorginaS
Jan29-10, 01:03 PM
P: 379
A friend of mine got a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS for Christmas. Apparently it takes pictures on the macro setting, but she can't figure out how it works. (This camera is more automatic and less manual.) Anyone here familiar with the camera and have any hints and/or tips for taking amazing bug shots like Andre and Turbo and Borek do?
turbo
Jan29-10, 01:13 PM
PF Gold
Hi, Georgina. It's my understanding that the manual shipped with that camera is a truncated version (though it ought to have SOME instructions for putting the rig in macro mode) and you have to go on-line and download the remainder of the manual. In a review, I read that the manual in the box is more like a "getting started" guide, still there ought to be an intuitive way to get to macro mode. Often, there are quick menu options, and "macro" will often be signified by a symbol that looks like the silhouette of a tulip. My Panasonic DMC-ZS3 is a bit too automatic, too, but it has pretty decent macro performance. I bought it because walking a rambunctious young (and incredibly strong) dog several times a day has cut into my DSLR forays, and I needed a pocket camera.

Andre
Jan29-10, 01:23 PM
PF Gold
I am not familiar with operating that camera, but I assume that it could be similar to other superzooms like the Panasonic FZ18 - FZ28 etc. As far as I know these camera's only have macro capability in the wide angle range and that is not very encouraging.

So what I did for my FZ-18, I bought a dedicated converter tube and a set of macro (close up) lenses to fit on that camera and then the possibilities are awesome, allowing a good distance between subject and camera, so not to disturb them

Some result:

Andre
Jan29-10, 01:27 PM
PF Gold
Meanwhile I found the user guide; check page 72

http://www.abt.com/images/products/P...SX20IS_use.pdf

But as I thought, only in wide angle and that's not "bug"-friendly
Andre
Jan29-10, 02:44 PM
PF Gold
So what I did for my FZ-18, I bought a dedicated converter tube and a set of macro (close up) lenses to fit on that camera and then the possibilities are awesome, allowing a good distance between subject and camera, so not to disturb them
Here is that setof tubes and a close up lens with the Panasonic (bridge) camera, which is roughly the same idea as the SX-20

and assembled here:

And this image was taken with that combination, hand held with only light from the monitor from a distance of almost 2 feet / 50 cm (picture size reduced to 20%)

Althought the image quality is definitely less than the Canon 100mm macro lens, it's still the most versatile option to hunt bugs in a dynamic environment -without tripod. Also the lack of image quality is compensated by an effective anti vibration system and a much better depth of field in the macro range.

Register to reply