Does a Scale Measure Our Weight or Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between mass and weight when measured in kilograms (kg). While kg is typically used to measure mass, it is also used to measure weight in everyday usage, as weight and mass are proportional on Earth's surface. However, in physics, weight is measured in Newtons (N). The conversation also delves into the different types of scales and what they measure, with a typical bathroom scale measuring force (weight) and a balance scale measuring mass. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the formal definition of weight in commerce and the units used to express it. Ultimately, the scale measures force, but the units used can vary depending on the context.
I had this same question, basicly yeah, the profesor is right the scale will mesure Newton, then will get converted to the kg it's proportional to on earth. So the scale truly mesures weight, but shows you mass, not because the gravity factor it ignored, but because it's already taken into consideration and they generated a sort of scale that's proportional. As is to say your 70kg is proportional to 686N so it's correct to say our weighing self. But that doesn't mean what the scale shows you is weight, it shows a proportional value that corresponds to the 686Newton that I'm this case is to 70kg of mas on Earth's gravity.
And your last question kg isn't the same as newto and kg isn't defined by weight a kg here and a kg on the moon are the same, cause they mesure mass, remeber a kg is a thousand grams, and a gram is defined as 1 cubic centimeter of whater.

Physics news on Phys.org
shayrgob said:
When I step on a scale I see that it says...70kg. We typically call this value weight? However, kg is used for "mass" and not "weight". So when we say 70kg do we mean that my mass is 70kg OR do we mean that my weight is 70 N?

So if it does mean mass, then my ACTUAL weight is 686N! lol
And if it means weight, then my mass is roughly 7kg.

See where I'm coming from?

And just to let you guys know, b4 u waste ur time, I def. know the difference between mass and weight. I'm just uncertain about what we are actually measuring.

I truly appreciate anyones help! thanks
Here is the response to your question !

It actually measures your weight, but it is calibrated so that shows your mass.

Explanation:
Mass is measure for amount of matter. Unit for mass is 1kg.
Weight of a body is force by which one mass is attracted to another. Your weight is force of gravitation pull between Earth and your body. Unit for force is 1N.
On surface of the Earth, relation between these two is:
G = m g
where
G is weight
m is mass
g is acceleration of gravity and it approximately constant everywhere in the world.
Bathroom scale is calibrated so that it convert measured units of weight to units of mass based on constant g. But if gravity changes, bathroom scale doesn't show correct value for mass anymore.
If you could weight yourself by bathroom scale on the surface of the Moon, it would show that your mass is 6 times smaller than on Earth, and on Jupiter it would show 2.5 times greater mass. In reality, your mass is equal on Earth, Moon, Jupiter and everywhere else. It is weight that changes with gravity and that's why would scale show incorrect values.

The only reason people are confused is because you tell them they are weighing something and the scale gives them units of mass instead of force. This conversation wouldn't be happening if scales measured the right unit for the intended purpose, instead of measuring mass and telling you that's how much the object weighs. It's frustrating indeed.

C.F. said:
The only reason people are confused is because you tell them they are weighing something and the scale gives them units of mass instead of force. This conversation wouldn't be happening if scales measured the right unit for the intended purpose, instead of measuring mass and telling you that's how much the object weighs. It's frustrating indeed.
In the real world, that's how lots of measurements actually get done. We use physics to infer something we can't easily measure from things we can. We don't want a thermometer to report volume or resistance, we want temperature in degrees. In exactly the same way, we may want a scale to tell us mass in units like "kilograms" even though the operating principle is "weighing" (or, perhaps, "balancing").

I'll give you the thermometer and many other measurement instruments (viscometers come to mind). I would pose the question that, in a society that already confuses mass and weight INCLUDING in the commercial and academic arenas, why enable the confusion by making scales designed to weigh something-- their purpose to be used to find weight-- and then give said weight in terms of mass? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

C.F. said:
Where does a scale tells you that the number shown there is the weight?
The scale is calibrated to show whatever people are more interested to know and the units more familiar to them.
In Europe people are, in general, familiar with kilograms so the scale shows the mass in kilograms, if the conditions are right (you are on Earth, close to surface and at rest).
In the US many scales show pounds because this is what people are more familiar with. This is a weight unit. In both cases, a spring (or piezo) scale measures a force, t start with.
Same as a thermometer measures a length or a resistance or a voltage. And then shows degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit or whatever. It's nothing special about scales.
Many instruments measure indirectly the quantity displayed and do some conversion.

Edit.
The post above (olivermsun) went along similar line. Did not see it yet.

Last edited:
C.F. said:
I'll give you the thermometer and many other measurement instruments (viscometers come to mind). I would pose the question that, in a society that already confuses mass and weight INCLUDING in the commercial and academic arenas, why enable the confusion by making scales designed to weigh something-- their purpose to be used to find weight-- and then give said weight in terms of mass? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

This is rather silly.

Can you show me an instrument of measurement that actually measures what it is supposed to measure? Do you think a voltmeter actually measures "voltage"? If you can't do this, then your complain is actually moot, because nothing that we use actually measures that quantity directly.

And I'm an experimentalist, where what I actually precisely is something that I pay very close attention to.

BTW, this is a very old thread, and @anurags123 is responding to a post from 2008!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you show me an instrument of measurement that actually measures what it is supposed to measure?

Stopwatches, rulers, balance scales-- the tools used to measure the three base units.

I understand that measuring desirable values sometimes (actually quite a lot of the time) requires an instrument to do conversions from one unit to another. However, the colloquial meaning of weight has become synonymous with mass. I'm an intern at a PVC solvent cement facility, and on the sheets for percent-solid tests it asks for weight in grams. I suppose it may be a pet peeve of mine, but is it really too much to ask for the unit to match the intention?

C.F. said:
Stopwatches, rulers, balance scales-- the tools used to measure the three base units.

Open a stopwatch. It measures nothing! It only has an oscillation mechanism. So essentially, it tells you how many oscillation it has made! Someone has to calibrate the number of oscillation to a unit of time!

I can replace a ruler with any length of stick. Is that stick now actually useful to "measure" something? Do you think your "1 meter" is something that is inherent in that stick?

Balance scale is no different than any scale, because you need a calibrated mass!

I understand that measuring desirable values sometimes (actually quite a lot of the time) requires an instrument to do conversions from one unit to another. However, the colloquial meaning of weight has become synonymous with mass. I'm an intern at a PVC solvent cement facility, and on the sheets for percent-solid tests it asks for weight in grams. I suppose it may be a pet peeve of mine, but is it really too much to ask for the unit to match the intention?

You cannot connect the sloppiness of where you work, or the sloppiness of how the public do something, with blaming an instrument for not measuring what you want it to measure.

Zz.

We as humans needed to use something to quantify nature, didn't we? Regardless of the arbitrary nature of the existence of units themselves, those tools used to measure seconds, kilograms, and meters have an output unit that corresponds exactly to what they are used to measure; time, mass, and length. There is no conversion necessary.

I don't blame the scale for measuring force and having an output unit of mass. I blame the misuse of the scale and misunderstanding between weight and mass for people's confusion about what a spring scale actually measures. The only solution I can see besides educating the entire public about the difference between weight and mass (again) is to change the output unit of spring scales from units of mass to units of force. Pointing out a problem without offering a solution is simply complaining, and I don't like to complain.

Pragmatically, what is spewing this peeve all over an internet forum going to accomplish? Next to nothing; but it does make me feel better, and that counts for something.

What is wrong with this thread? It just will not die a natural death, so I killed it with my mentor-issued digital axe.

I feel a little like a survivor in a really boring version of a zombie movie.

Likes wormbread, davenn, nasu and 1 other person