Vibrations in Waves

by petern
Tags: vibrations, waves
petern
Feb20-08, 08:22 PM
P: 89
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A guitar string is set in vibrations at a frequency of 437 Hz. How many vibrations did the guitar's string make while the sound propagated 235 m in the air?

2. Relevant equations

V = wavelegth x freq.

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured out that you do 437 Hz x 235 m = 102695 m/s. 102695 / 343 = 299.4 vibrations.

Can anyone explain how this works? I thought vibration was the frequency. I don't understand how the vibration represents how many times faster than the speed of sound it is.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Jakell
Feb20-08, 08:57 PM
P: 18
first you want to figure out how long it takes the sound to travel the 235 meters. if you know that, you can use the frequency to figure out how many times the string vibrates in that period.
Tedjn
Feb20-08, 09:10 PM
P: 740
The vibration is the frequency. What you did gave you the right answer, but it was done in the wrong order. Following what Jakell said, you would want to first find the time it takes sound to travel 235 meters, which is (235 m)/(343 m/s) [if you are using 343 m/s for speed of sound]. Then you would use the frequency. You end up with the same operations, hence the same answer.

petern
Feb20-08, 09:38 PM
P: 89

Vibrations in Waves

How would I make a working equation for that? I currently have vibration = (x/v) x f. I used x = xo + vt but I don't know which eq. to use to add the f in.
Tedjn
Feb20-08, 11:23 PM
P: 740
What equation do you mean? You have one: # of vibrations = (x/v) * f

Register to reply