Register to reply

Like a thousand needles stabbing your heart..

by ShawnD
Tags: heart, needles, stabbing, thousand
Share this thread:
ShawnD
Feb21-08, 02:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
What is it called when you get a sudden chest pain that lasts for just a second or two? Homer Simpsons described it as a feeling of a thousand needles stabbing into his heart.

I tried to google it but all I got was emo poetry. Your wordth are like a thouthand needleth thtabbing into my heart. /wrists
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
chroot
Feb21-08, 02:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

- Warren
ShawnD
Feb21-08, 03:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
Thanks!

Evo
Feb21-08, 03:10 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Like a thousand needles stabbing your heart..

I thought it was usually angina, but it could be a number of things. Isn't side stitch located below the rib cage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chest_pain
turbo
Feb21-08, 03:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
You're right, Evo. If the pain is brief and near the area of the heart, Shawn should be hieing himself to the local saw-bones. Angina could be a sign of a serious problem.
chroot
Feb21-08, 03:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I believe that angina lasts longer that just a few seconds. I'm no doctor, though, so maybe I'm wrong. Side stitches can be so painful that it's hard to tell exactly where the pain is coming from.

- Warren
rewebster
Feb21-08, 03:34 PM
P: 880
better safe than sorry--

if you haven't called the DR. for an appt. yet, .....----
Andre
Feb21-08, 03:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Any speculation may be off. Could be anything. That's what doctors are for to sort out.
chroot
Feb21-08, 03:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Sometimes I'll get a stabbing "chest pain" while eating, when accidentally swallowing an uncomfortably large bubble of air.

- Warren
rewebster
Feb21-08, 03:44 PM
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
Sometimes I'll get a stabbing "chest pain" while eating, when accidentally swallowing an uncomfortably large bubble of air.

- Warren
you mean, you'd rather swallow many smaller air bubbles more comfortably?
chroot
Feb21-08, 04:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
It's a good party trick.

- Warren
chemisttree
Feb21-08, 04:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Perhaps it's voodoo. But a thousand needles is probably an exaggeration. It's usually only one or two needles applied in rapid succession.

Bad ju ju!

Edit: Wait a minute! When you googled "stabbing chest pain" you got poetry? I got this
rewebster
Feb21-08, 04:09 PM
ouchupuncture
dst
Feb21-08, 05:09 PM
P: 389
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
Worst stomach aches ever :grumpy. Worst of all, you can't stop it from happening.
Moonbear
Feb21-08, 06:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Just a second or two could be anything, yes, including a bit of a gas bubble.

I think of a stitch as being in the side, below the ribcage, not in the chest. But, we don't have pain receptors in the organs contained within the chest and abdomen, so sensations of pain, unless they're directly from a sore muscle, are referred pain. You perceive it out on the body wall somewhere when it could be coming from a lot of places internally. Why this happens is not really well understood.

If it happens repeatedly, then I'd get it checked out. If it's just a one-time thing, and really short in duration (a couple seconds), I wouldn't be too worried.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb21-08, 06:19 PM
Admin
P: 9,545
I get this sometimes, usually happens along with breathing in deep. If I breathe in deep and get the sharp needle pain I just take real short breathes until it goes away after a few minutes.
Moonbear
Feb21-08, 06:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I get this sometimes, usually happens along with breathing in deep. If I breathe in deep and get the sharp needle pain I just take real short breathes until it goes away after a few minutes.
A few minutes is a lot longer than a few seconds. You should get that checked out. A deep breath shouldn't cause pain.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb21-08, 06:26 PM
Admin
P: 9,545
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
A few minutes is a lot longer than a few seconds. You should get that checked out. A deep breath shouldn't cause pain.
The pain doesn't last throughout the few minutes. But when I take a deep breathe within the few minutes then I get the sharp middle left chest pain. I always just thought it was a gas bubble.

Register to reply