Finding Voltage in a Circuit

In summary: The voltage across the 5k resistor will be V2, and the voltage across the 20k resistor will be V1 - V2.In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of V1 and V2 in a circuit using KVL and KCL. The solution involves using voltage division and simplifying the circuit to find the necessary values.
salman213
1. I made a quick sketch
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7629/testwv7.jpg
Find V1 and V2

3. Is there an easier way to do this question without applying mesh analysis, because this question was in my chapter 2 (intro to KVL/KCL), but i cannot think of a way to find this unless i use mesh analysis. Any advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well assuming I'm doing it right of course, you wouldn't need any simultaneous equations or anything, that'd be over complicating it, just need KCL really

so at the node above the 20 and 5 k resistors(or the equivalent 4k resistor!)you have 10 milliamps flowing in, and you need 10 mA flowing out, obtained with a voltage drop across that 4 k of just V=IR=10*4=40 Volts

You can check to see that puts 8 mA across the 5 k resistor and 2 across the 20 k, for a total of 10 mA

the answer for v1 = 20 V

not 40 V

so hmmmmmmmm

ok, so what you basically have are two resistors in series, and those two resistors(with eq. resistance of 4k) are in parallel with the other two resistors which I mentioned have an equiv. resistance of 4k as well

Since they're in parallel the current splits down both paths and equal amounts both ways since the resistances are ultimately equal, sooo it's actually V=I*R=5*4=20Volts

If you know V1, then all you need to do is "voltage-divide" to find V2.

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current through a circuit.

2. How do you calculate voltage in a circuit?

Voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In equation form, this is written as V = I x R. Voltage can also be measured using a voltmeter.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. In other words, voltage is what causes current to flow.

4. How does a change in resistance affect voltage in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, an increase in resistance will result in a decrease in voltage, and vice versa. This means that as resistance in a circuit increases, less current will flow, and the voltage will decrease. On the other hand, a decrease in resistance will result in an increase in voltage and current.

5. What is the importance of finding voltage in a circuit?

Finding voltage in a circuit is crucial for understanding and analyzing the behavior of electrical systems. It helps in identifying potential problems, determining the power and efficiency of a circuit, and ensuring the safety of the circuit and its components. Voltage measurements are also used in the design and testing of electrical devices and systems.