Register to reply

Limits of Subsequences

by soul
Tags: limits, subsequences
Share this thread:
soul
Feb26-08, 01:22 PM
P: 62
If two subsequences of a sequence {an} have different limits, does {an} converge? and Why?Could you prove it?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
CompuChip
Feb26-08, 01:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
By definition, we say that a (sub)sequence converges if its limit exists (and is finite).
By definition, if the limit exists, it is unique. You may prove this for yourself.

For example, the sequence {-1, 1, -1, 1, -1, 1, ....} has two converging subsequences {1, 1, 1, 1, ...} and {-1, -1, -1, -1, ...} (actually, there are infinitely many, as long as it ends in just 1's or just -1's) which converge to 1 and -1 respectively. The sequence itself has no limit though.
sutupidmath
Feb27-08, 07:05 PM
P: 1,633
there is a theorem i guess, which states that if {an} converges then every subsequence of it converges and that to the same nr as {an}. Hence if we can find at least two subsequences of a sequence {an} that converge do different nrs, that is have different limits, then the sequence {an} does not converge!

HallsofIvy
Feb28-08, 06:51 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,553
Limits of Subsequences

Specifically, you can do this: suppose the subsequence of {an} has subsequence {an}i which converges to P and subsequence {an}j which converges to Q.

Assume that {an} converges to L, and take [itex]\epsilon[/itex]= (1/2)|P- Q|. For any N, there will be n1> N such that an1, in the first subsequence, is arbitratily close to P and n2> N such that an2, in the second subsequence is arbitrarily close to Q. If they are not within [itex]2\epsilon[/itex] of each other, they cannot both be within [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of L, a contradiction.
vertciel
Oct14-10, 08:27 PM
P: 63
Hello everyone,

I have tried to write a proof based on HallsofIvy's response, posted below. However, I am not able to derive a contradiction from what I have at the moment.

Could someone please assist me with the conclusion of this proof?

Thank you very much.

Attempt:

Design
Oct14-10, 09:21 PM
P: 62
Quote Quote by vertciel View Post
Hello everyone,

I have tried to write a proof based on HallsofIvy's response, posted below. However, I am not able to derive a contradiction from what I have at the moment.

Could someone please assist me with the conclusion of this proof?

Thank you very much.

Attempt:

I was wondering how when you choose the max of the two, how you just add the two parts of the sub sequences?
Mr.Miyagi
Oct17-10, 10:43 PM
P: 47
Suppose [tex]\lim a_n=L[/tex]. Let [tex]a_{n_i}[/tex] be an arbitrary subsequence. We wish to prove that [tex]\lim a_{n_i}=L[/tex].

We know that [tex]\forall \epsilon>0[/tex] [tex] \exists N[/tex] such that [tex]n\geq N[/tex] implies [tex]|a_n-L|<\epsilon[/tex].

We need to show that [tex]\forall \epsilon>0[/tex] [tex] \exists I[/tex] such that [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies [tex]|a_{n_i}-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. But if we choose [tex]I[/tex] such that [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies that [tex]n_i\geq N[/tex], then [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies [tex]|a_{n_i}-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. The existence of such an [tex]I[/tex] is guaranteed by the definition of a subsequence (something to check).

So what this proof says is that if a sequence is convergent, then all it's subsequences converge to the same limit. Now take the contra-positive of this statement and compare it with your question.

I hope that helped.

[edit] Just noticed the date of the OP's post... oh well.

Register to reply