Need help in determining formula for for fishing lure depth...

by jdub
Tags: depth, determining, fishing, formula, lure
jdub
Mar4-08, 10:42 PM
P: 3
I need help in determining trolling lure depth for fishing. I imagine this formula would have to take into account line length, lure weight, and boat speed. I'm no math wiz, so if someone can help, It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
TVP45
Mar5-08, 07:40 AM
P: 1,130
And whether you use a downrigger and how you adjust the lure. I can't imagine how you would put all that in a formula. Maybe some kind of nomograph would be the way to go.
Danger
Mar5-08, 07:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
Jeez, how to take the fun out of fishing!
If you're going to such extremes, why not just mount a bottom-scanning sonar unit on the lure? A huge part of the sport is knowing, and feeling where things should be. You'd might as well go with the old tried-and-true dynamite approach.

TVP45
Mar6-08, 07:21 AM
P: 1,130

Need help in determining formula for for fishing lure depth...

Quote Quote by Danger View Post
If you're going to such extremes, why not just mount a bottom-scanning sonar unit on the lure? A huge part of the sport is knowing, and feeling where things should be. You'd might as well go with the old tried-and-true dynamite approach.
Did you ever think there might be a good reason for the RCMP watching you?
Danger
Mar6-08, 08:40 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by TVP45 View Post
Did you ever think there might be a good reason for the RCMP watching you?
Never doubted it for a moment.
jdub
Mar11-08, 04:26 AM
P: 3
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
Cause that costs money. No for real, I would like a basic formula to see what depth my lures are running at when trolling. Trust me, it doesn't take the fun out of fishing.
Danger
Mar11-08, 09:29 AM
PF Gold
Sorry, Jdub; I misunderstood your original question. I thought that you were looking for a way to mechanically regulate the depth other than a simple 'bobber'.
I suspect that a formulae would be too complicated to bother with. There are a lot more factors involved than the ones that you mentioned. Water density, including salinity and temperature, would have a large impact, in conjunction with the hydrodynamic properties of the lure. Some lures that I have are made to dive deeper as they move faster, while most are the opposite. If you want just a rough idea based upon one particular lure, it might not be too bad.
I'm wondering if you could just rent a 'fish finder' sonar unit for a day or so and run some field tests tracking your lures at various speeds. Then you could print up a chart to carry around with you.

Register to reply