Register to reply

Calculating Final Velocity

by maca_404
Tags: final, velocity
Share this thread:
maca_404
Mar5-08, 05:40 AM
P: 7
Question is a golf ball is dropped from a height of 78m assuming gravity is 9.8 m s, What is the velocity of the ball after the first 10m.

I assume the equation to use is [tex]v^2=u^2+2ax[/tex]

v = Final velocity
u = Initial Velocity
a = Acceleration
x = Displacement

So I plug in [tex]v^2 = 0+2(9.8ms)(10.0)[/tex]

Now according to the answer sheet V should be 14.0 m s but no matter how I plug this in I cant seem to get the right answer.

I think the problem is the way I am actually doing the math so if someone could perhaps step threw the maths so I can see where I went wrong.

Thanks for any help
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
Oerg
Mar5-08, 05:48 AM
P: 364
you shoudnt only learn about plugging values into the formula, you should learn the physical meaning of the formula!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT I got 14 using the EXACT equation above, I believe you have made a careless mistake.
HallsofIvy
Mar5-08, 05:48 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
No, no one can possibly tell you what you did wrong, because you haven't told us what you did! The equation you have, v2= 2*9.8*10 is correct and gives v= 14 m/s. Apparently you made a mistake in the arithmetic, although it seems rather elementary to me! Since you didn't show what you did or tell us what answers you got, I can't tell if it was something as simple as forgetting to take the square root.

maca_404
Mar5-08, 05:53 AM
P: 7
Calculating Final Velocity

How embarrassing, oerg you where spot on I forgot to take the square of the answer I think I have been working at this too long tonight .

Thanks Again

Register to reply