Electric potential in relation to electric field problem

by gallib
Tags: electric, field, potential, relation
Share this thread:
gallib
Mar5-08, 01:52 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric potential in a region of uniform electric field is -1000 V at x = -0.900 m and + 1400 V at x = + 2.00 m. What is E_{x} ?

2. Relevant equations

e=kq1q1/r^2
v= integral of E dot ds
v=ed

3. The attempt at a solution

i am thinking i will use the equation V=Ed, so I would use V=-1000 and d equal to -.9m
then i have no idea what to do from there, any help is appreciated. thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
dynamicsolo
Mar5-08, 05:21 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,664
Quote Quote by gallib View Post

i am thinking i will use the equation V=Ed, so I would use V=-1000 and d equal to -.9m...
This is the right direction. For a potential which only changes along one dimension, you can write E = -dV/dx ; that is, the magnitude of the field is the slope of the potential function and the direction of the field runs from higher to lower potential. (This is basically where V = Ed comes from, for the case of a uniform field.)

BTW, in that formula, d is the separation between the two points over which the potential change is measured, not a position.

So you have two values of the electric potential at two values of x. What is the slope of this (linear) function? What is the direction of the electric field?

Register to reply