Register to reply

Is there any real difference between reality and a dream?

by Holocene
Tags: difference, dream, real, reality
Share this thread:
Holocene
Mar19-08, 07:03 PM
P: 231
You're reading this right now, and it might seem very real to you. You might truly believe that you really are reading this. Why do you believe that though? The answer must, at least in part, lie with the fact that you are unconsciously basing that assumption on the fact that various electrical process in your brain are telling you that this brief moment in your daily life is "real".

But a "dream" is again, nothing more than electrical processes in the brain. Usually, we awaken from a dream, and might dismiss it as something that never happened in "reality".

But if you believe that your decision to click on this thread just a minute ago was "reality", do you have anything other than electrical processes in your brain to base that assumption upon?

It seems to me, that if every recollection of our lives is but the result of electrical processes in the brain, then there ought to be no real difference, nor no bias in terms of "importance", between so-called "reality" and a "dream".
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
P4PPY
Mar19-08, 07:06 PM
P: 17
A maximum of 2 senses can be active at a time during a dream. In reality you can use all of your senses at once. :)

Hey... what?... it sounds really really good!
JoeDawg
Mar19-08, 07:34 PM
P: 1,330
Quote Quote by Holocene View Post
You're reading this right now, and it might seem very real to you.
Yes it does. And while dreams can seem real to me, context is everything.

I know I fall asleep at night and within the bounds of that experience, I know I have 'experiences'.

Those experiences however seem of a different quality. They are inconsistent and disjointed.

I'm one of those people who doesn't remember much of my dreams, so it may be easier for me. Some people have very vivid dreams and remember them, some can even control their dreams and dream lucidly.

Most I think would agree that there is more continuity to 'waking life'. I wake up mostly where I left off. Unless I've had too much to drink, of course.

But even that last one is in context. I've discovered over my life that certain things cause inconsistency in perception. And I've compared that to the experiences that others tell me about.

Its not perfect, but we have a relatively solid foundation to distinguish dreams and waking life... at least in terms of the quality of the experience.

DaveC426913
Mar19-08, 10:27 PM
P: 15,319
Is there any real difference between reality and a dream?

It took me a long time to come across it but now that I've found it, it's never failed.

There is one incontrivertible difference that sets dreams apart from reality - a subtle "simulation glitch" that lets me test which state I am currently in.

If, after peeing, I don't feel the urge to pee any longer, I'm awake.
If, after peeing, I perplexingly still feel the urge to pee, I'm dreaming.

I sh*ite you not.
Math Is Hard
Mar19-08, 10:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Quote Quote by P4PPY View Post
A maximum of 2 senses can be active at a time during a dream...
Where did you get this information? Are you joking?
octelcogopod
Mar20-08, 06:36 AM
P: 506
I agree with everything Joe said, but also, what's shared between a dream and reality is that we with both see imagery, have emotions, it's called an experience.
These two types of experiences come from the same thing, the brain.
We can separate a dream from reality because of what Joe said, but also within the context of reality, a dream is a phenomena we know happens when we sleep.
While yeah, you can say all of reality is a dream, from a kind of solipsists point of view, but a sleep dream is nothing more than a phenomena within the brain, within reality(which may be defines as a dream in some cases.)

There's no reason to say reality isn't 'real' though. What people experience in their lives is as real as it's going to get, at least from our perspective the way we are made.
It's all we got really, so why not believe it?
P4PPY
Mar20-08, 12:31 PM
P: 17
Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
Where did you get this information? Are you joking?
Yes... I was joking
Moridin
Mar20-08, 03:50 PM
P: 858
Physicist Victor Stenger argues that reality is point-of-view invariant, whereas this might not apply to dreams.
Violator
Apr1-08, 03:41 AM
P: 39
The pee test can be dangerous. More then once, when young, I found after peeing in a dream I no longer needed to pee.

I think an interesting variation on the question would be to theorize the presence of a powerful hallucinogen such as DMT rather than a dream state. While under the influence of such a drug, the break with reality can become total. The hallucinogenic state can have self-consistent history and rules. It can also include time effects making it seem to go on indefinitely, and to have been going on indefinitely. Perhaps, we are all tripping right now.
g33kski11z
Apr3-08, 01:32 PM
P: 93
I've noticed that I do not have shadows in my dreams...
..not sure what that means..
Noone
Apr3-08, 09:05 PM
P: 78
You're reading this right now, and it might seem very real to you. You might truly believe that you really are reading this. Why do you believe that though? The answer must, at least in part, lie with the fact that you are unconsciously basing that assumption on the fact that various electrical process in your brain are telling you that this brief moment in your daily life is "real".

But a "dream" is again, nothing more than electrical processes in the brain. Usually, we awaken from a dream, and might dismiss it as something that never happened in "reality".

But if you believe that your decision to click on this thread just a minute ago was "reality", do you have anything other than electrical processes in your brain to base that assumption upon?

It seems to me, that if every recollection of our lives is but the result of electrical processes in the brain, then there ought to be no real difference, nor no bias in terms of "importance", between so-called "reality" and a "dream".

To answer your question within your title....

Control is what the difrince is... and due to the fact, in your reality everyone els is there in there reality as well, but in a dream you alone would be in your own created reality in your head.

thats the answer to your question in your title :/ and its true and correct

And anyways... are brain is are mind and are mind is are brain... so are brain is us, and are mind is us... the only difrence would be the mind speak's english...
Noone
Apr3-08, 09:09 PM
It is real beacuse i say it's real, so therefore i make it real -.-

why when i say it's real it make's it real?
russ_watters
Apr3-08, 09:44 PM
Mentor
P: 22,305
The answer must, at least in part, lie with the fact that you are unconsciously basing that assumption on the fact that various electrical process in your brain are telling you that this brief moment in your daily life is "real".

The difference should be pretty obvious: when you are awake, those electrical impulses are generated/formed by your external senses. In a dream, the "reality" is generated internally.

It just sounds to me like you need to watch the Matrix again - you don't quite have it down.
Noone
Apr3-08, 09:58 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
The difference should be pretty obvious: when you are awake, those electrical impulses are generated/formed by your external senses. In a dream, the "reality" is generated internally.

It just sounds to me like you need to watch the Matrix again - you don't quite have it down.
LOL yea that movie dose portray it in a way just about everyone can understand...

But nature tell's the story much better :/
Lord Ping
Apr7-08, 08:38 PM
P: 89
Descartes did this first.

The answer is, erm, yes. Of course there is a difference between reality and dreams. Think about it.

But producing an argument to the conclusion that we can know we're not dreaming sounds kind of tricky, and therein lies the attractiveness of Descartes's argument.
Violator
Apr7-08, 09:00 PM
P: 39
Locke's response to Descartes ran something to the effect of "How about I push you in a fire and we see how you respond." His point being of course, you would try to put out the fire and live whether in a dream or not.
secular
Oct20-09, 06:34 AM
P: 2
Reality is an 'extended' dream and Death is when you wake up. Think of this - Can we at this moment tell with 100% confidence ' I am not dreaming'. May be we will wake up this moment from this dream.

I know it is not as simple as it sounds, but its a very interesting paradigm. What happens when we die - this world no more exists for us, it is only a memory, maybe 'just like a dream'.

My conclusion: A dream is reality when you are in it. Reality is a dream (memory) when you are out of it.
DaveC426913
Oct20-09, 08:34 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by secular View Post
My conclusion: A dream is reality when you are in it. Reality is a dream (memory) when you are out of it.
This is looking at the problem only symptomatically, ignoring the origin of these states: the conscious and unconscious mind.

A dream is what your unconscious mind does to entertain itself when your conscious mind is dormant. Waking state is what happens when your conscious mind returns to its active state and reasserts its dominance.

Register to reply