Register to reply

Want to build a home-made generator..

by jagman454
Tags: build, generator, homemade
Share this thread:
jagman454
Mar20-08, 10:41 PM
P: 2
First off thanks for the quick replys on my first post. Now, I'm looking to build a home-made generator, i've been told that I can just reverse the motion of a electric motor and *poof* it becomes a generator, is this true? And I was also considering just using a automobile alternator as my generator, But at what RPM would the alternator have to spin to give off efficient charge to charge a 12v car battery?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
basic
Dec6-08, 05:40 AM
P: 1
that is dependent on the strength of the magnets and how much flux is created by the alternator.
Unless you already have the details of the alternator, the best way is to just hook up an ammeter and volt meter and spin it yourself and take a few readings
Danger
Dec6-08, 05:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
From a backyard mechanic/racer perspective, I would assume that spinning your alternator at the basic idle speed of an engine (450+rpm) should provide an adequate charging output. That should be between 13 and 14.5 volts.

russ_watters
Dec6-08, 07:01 AM
Mentor
P: 22,284
Want to build a home-made generator..

Quote Quote by Danger View Post
From a backyard mechanic/racer perspective, I would assume that spinning your alternator at the basic idle speed of an engine (450+rpm) should provide an adequate charging output. That should be between 13 and 14.5 volts.
.... taking into account whatever gear ratio (if any) is applied by the belts and pulleys.
dlgoff
Dec6-08, 08:32 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
Also you need to provide voltage to the field windings before you can get an output. For most auto alternators.

Register to reply