Want to build a home-made generator

In summary, the conversation discusses building a homemade generator and the potential use of an electric motor or automobile alternator. It is suggested to test the alternator's efficiency by hooking up an ammeter and volt meter and spinning it at a basic idle speed of 450+ rpm, which should provide a charging output between 13 and 14.5 volts. The gear ratio and voltage to the field windings must also be taken into consideration.
jagman454
First off thanks for the quick replys on my first post. Now, I'm looking to build a home-made generator, I've been told that I can just reverse the motion of a electric motor and *poof* it becomes a generator, is this true? And I was also considering just using a automobile alternator as my generator, But at what RPM would the alternator have to spin to give off efficient charge to charge a 12v car battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
that is dependent on the strength of the magnets and how much flux is created by the alternator.
Unless you already have the details of the alternator, the best way is to just hook up an ammeter and volt meter and spin it yourself and take a few readings

From a backyard mechanic/racer perspective, I would assume that spinning your alternator at the basic idle speed of an engine (450+rpm) should provide an adequate charging output. That should be between 13 and 14.5 volts.

Danger said:
From a backyard mechanic/racer perspective, I would assume that spinning your alternator at the basic idle speed of an engine (450+rpm) should provide an adequate charging output. That should be between 13 and 14.5 volts.
... taking into account whatever gear ratio (if any) is applied by the belts and pulleys.

Also you need to provide voltage to the field windings before you can get an output. For most auto alternators.

1. How does a home-made generator work?

A home-made generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of a rotor, which rotates inside a stator that contains coils of wire. As the rotor spins, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the coils, producing electricity.

2. What materials do I need to build a home-made generator?

The materials needed to build a home-made generator can vary depending on the type of generator you want to build. However, some common materials include a rotor, stator, magnets, wire, and a power source (such as a bicycle or wind turbine).

3. Is it difficult to build a home-made generator?

The difficulty level of building a home-made generator can vary depending on your level of experience and the type of generator you want to build. Some generators may be more complex and require advanced skills, while others can be relatively simple to construct. It is important to have a good understanding of electrical principles and safety precautions before attempting to build a generator.

4. Can a home-made generator power my entire home?

It is possible for a home-made generator to power your entire home, but it will depend on the size and type of generator you build. If you want to power your entire home, you will likely need a larger and more complex generator. It is important to consult with an electrician to ensure that your generator can safely and effectively power your home.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a home-made generator?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when building a home-made generator. These include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, ensuring all electrical components are properly insulated, and following proper wiring and grounding techniques. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect your generator to ensure it is safe to use.