Register to reply

What is an 'INORGANIC GLASS' ?

by selseg
Tags: glass, inorganic
Share this thread:
selseg
Mar21-08, 02:38 PM
P: 27
I would want to know what an inorganic glass is an about its solidification process or references to where i could find information about it.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
Danger
Mar21-08, 05:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I'm afraid that I can't help you. To me, 'organic' indicates that it is derived from a hydrocarbon compound which originated in a biological process. Thus all glass is 'inorganic'.
turbo
Mar21-08, 06:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by selseg View Post
I would want to know what an inorganic glass is an about its solidification process or references to where i could find information about it.
Use Google and follow relevant links. Most of what we consider to be glasses are inorganic.

Gokul43201
Mar21-08, 08:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
What is an 'INORGANIC GLASS' ?

I guess an inorganic glass is a glass that does not fall under the much more recently invented class of materials known as organic glasses, which are essentially glasslike polymers. So all traditional silicate glasses are inorganic glasses.
MOSBURGER
Mar1-10, 05:52 PM
P: 1
Inorganic glass are considered as alloys with inorganic oxides as compounds.

When a meterial is rapidly cooled(the cooling rate is higher than a critical value), the material will not form to solid but liquid. The state after this rapid cooling is called supercooled liquid, because it has passed through the freezing range. And it transforms to glass.

checking the physical metallurgy may be helpful^^
Matcon
Mar28-10, 11:06 AM
P: 25
It is possible to make glasses from nonsilicate inorganic compounds. One well-known system is calcium nitrate-potassium nitrate. Also, there is a family of chalcogenide glasses. In my experience people refer to nonsilicate glasses by their generic name, eg nitrate glass, alumina glass, chalcogenide glass rather than "inorganic glass"

Register to reply