Tags: differentiation, power, series, termwise
Share this thread:
Hootenanny
Mar29-08, 01:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,781
For those who don't know I'm writing a tutorial (Introduction / Summary of Differentiation) in the tutorials forum. I have come to the point of introducing Transcendental functions. I would like to introduce the exponential function first (via the Taylor series) and then present the natural logarithm as it's inverse. Although not entirely necessary, I would like to present a concise proof of term-wise differentiation of power series in the tutorial.

If anyone knows of a concise online proof, or even better, would be willing to contribute a proof directly, please let me know, either in this thread or via PM.

Thanks for your time.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
flebbyman
Mar29-08, 05:10 PM
P: 28
I would say that it follows from the linearity of differentiation
HallsofIvy
Mar30-08, 06:53 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
Because you are talking about an infinite series, you also need the fact that a power series converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence.

Hootenanny
Apr2-08, 08:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,781
Term-wise Differentiation of Power Series

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Because you are talking about an infinite series, you also need the fact that a power series converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence.
Is it necessary that both the original and differentiated series converges uniformally, I thought that the original series need only converge?

Register to reply