View Poll Results: Are you familiar with the Hall coefficient?
Yes. 2 66.67%
No. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Charge density, carrier concentration, or Hall coefficient for Indium Arsenide?

by ethereality
Tags: arsenide, carrier, charge, coefficient, concentration, density, hall, indium
ethereality
Mar29-08, 07:47 PM
P: 2
I've been searching for an acceptable value for the charge density of indium arsenide; that is, the amount of charge per cubic meter. I have been unable to find anything.

I'm working on a replication of the Hall Effect, and I need an accepted value for comparing my own results. I've searched Google multiple times, and have searched article databases from http://library.mtsu.edu/ ... It seems no one is very interested in something this mundane; it's all semiconductors and "quantum dots" and other complex esoteric material...

Where else and for what else can one search? ... I've also not been very successful in ascertaining a clear definition of the Hall coefficient; it appears to vary, depending on the type of semiconductor, and whether one is addressing quantum or classical effects ... but one definition I have that I think is valid is simply the reciprocal of the charge density, that is, R = 1/(ne), where n = # of charge carriers / cubic meter (I think some call this the carrier concentration or carrier density; is that correct?)

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry; the poll was meant to ask about the Hall effect... can't find where to edit (or recreate) the poll.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
merryjman
Mar29-08, 09:02 PM
P: 183
This may be stupid, but unless this material is very exotic I would guess it is electrically neutral, in which case it has no net charge density? If so, then I guess what you really want is the mass density, because if you knew that and its crystalline structure then you could make a decent guess as to how many electrons or protons would reside within a given volume, right? With the doping data I guess you could figure out the mobile charge density also?
ethereality
Mar30-08, 11:52 AM
P: 2
Yes, I have thought about estimating from its molecular density, and this is what I will do if I cannot find an accepted value... and yes, it is of course electrically neutral, but that doesn't solve my problem. By charge density, or carrier concentration, I mean specifically

r (Greek 'rho') = ne = (# of carriers of charge / unit volume) * (charge of each carrier) = net amount of negative charge / unit volume.

Is that clear? Sorry if there was any ambiguity. One definition I've seen for the Hall coefficient is then

R = 1/(ne),

sometimes with a minus sign, so that R > 0.

Register to reply